• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I am in the process of refinishing my 550-1. It was in pretty rough shape and needed to be re-blued, and the stock needed re-stained. I have cleaned all blue(or brown) off the barrel and love the bare metal look. This is where I ran into my only problem. I love the raw look so much I want to leave the metal polished, however, I don't know if this is safe for the barrel. Is it? Will the barrel corrode? Will it be okay not to re-blue as long as I keep the metal oiled and stored properly?

Just a few questions, I am not against re-bluing if I must, but I love that raw polished shine.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    As long as you keep it protected it will be ok but I will also say it will begin rusting very, very easily. Even to you thinnk you have cleaned all the old bluing of the metal is still going to hold some molecules of the bluing salts used originally and it is going to want to rust. I would have it finished in a silver finish it you like the look.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    just try it for a bit, and check it often... if it holds up against rust to your satisfaction leave it, but i will advise you it will begin to rust quickly even if its in a climate controlled safe.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    get in touch with hoosier gun coat .....get him to do it in a silver finish for you ....the look you want that will last forever ....and probably a pretty good price ..:twocents:

Nice old guns by the way ....first gun I ever shot was a 550-1 ....still have it in my safe

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    get in touch with hoosier gun coat .....get him to do it in a silver finish for you ....the look you want that will last forever ....and probably a pretty good price ..:twocents:

Nice old guns by the way ....first gun I ever shot was a 550-1 ....still have it in my safe

Or me, I am a site advertiser and all.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna leave it as is for the time being, but I will be looking into a nice silver finish.

As an update, I finished sanding the stock last night and the wood holds a beautiful grain. I am excited to finish this beauty and start driving some tacks.

Top Bottom