• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I was looking to purchase the necessary equipment to refinish firearm parts. I am stumped at the right combination of abrasive blaster to air compressor. This is a hobby and I want to do it myself. Sure I could farm out the parts for a third party, but I am not going to. The guy in me says get the biggest of both but that most likely isn't true. What size compressor to abrasive blaster ratio would be the optimum for firearms use only?
    Thanks

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Refinishing gun parts don't always need "Blasted". Anything being Blued needs polished, media blasted is much genteler on parts than abrasive. Any Blaster uses huge amounts of compressed air. The Blaster will have the air consumption listed on it, Such as 12 CFM @ 90 PSI. The compressors also have output ratings listed on them. Good Luck on your new Quest!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    PGR nailed it. the big to issues are knowing what media for what job. And CFM is key. the more the merrier. That's for sure. Some of the media can be reused. Warping of sheet metal is a concern. Takes some practice.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you plan to run a blast cabinet you want the biggest compressor you can get your hands on. I burned up three of the small horizontal tank compressors in two years trying to push a blast cabinet. I finally bought a 60 gallon vertical from Harbor Freight and it handles the job pretty well. There have been occasions where I've stopped and allowed it to cool down but is much more efficient than the smaller oilless compressors.

The nice thing about investing in a large compressor is their versatility. Pneumatic tools are awesome and if you do woodworking or auto repair the tools you can run off of the compressor are real time savers.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    80 gallon tank, two stage, 220v would be the min I would consider for pushing a compressor... anything less and you will have to do what phylo does and let it cool periodically.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I have a 60 gallon tank Craftsman compressor with a 220V 5 hp motor and a dual cylinder dual stage compressor. It sometimes fails to keep up.
    with my bead blast cabinet. Go big or go home

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    For firearms only it seems 80 gallon tank with patience will be the ticket. Harbor freight has a 40 gallon blaster at 6 CFM @ 60 PSI, 25 CFM @ 125 PSI Working pressure:60-125 PSI. I might try to get the benchtop cabinet to keep the neighborhood clean. They seem fairly constructed. I have read with a little customization the cabinet works well.
    Thanks Guys this really helps

Top Bottom