• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I really don`t care about a quick end to this sight! I have already apoligized to the person this happened to. (through a pm) For my comment that was taken out of context by the rest of you, and iv`e already thanked Mrs. Gungho for getting involved! So have a nice day!

Thank you for offering that apology.... and if I jumped the gun at you, you have mine as well. It's hard enough getting people to take that first step of getting involved and activating EMS, and guilt, whether attempted by the dispatcher at the time or by someone else later (no matter who) does not help matters. I tend to get a little touchy when it comes to that.

And with no sarcasm at all, I wish you as well, a nice night.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Isn't the success rate of CPR something like 5% to 10%, and only if done immediately after the heart stops? A person found cold and blue has no chance of resuscitation, outside of a miracle. The only people that have been successfully resuscitated that I've ever heard of are those that fall into a frozen lake and are rescued several minutes later, due to the effect of the freezing water. I may be off, it's been a while since first responder training!

I don't know if your numbers are 100% accurate, but if not, they're not far off. CPR is a good delay tactic to give advanced procedures a chance of working, but don't let that discourage anyone who is trained and sees a need for it from doing it.

Blessings,
    Bill

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    CPR by itself success rate is around 10%. Early defibrillation is key the to a save as well as a medic being able to quickly get drugs on board and an airway established.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Thank you for offering that apology.... and if I jumped the gun at you, you have mine as well. It's hard enough getting people to take that first step of getting involved and activating EMS, and guilt, whether attempted by the dispatcher at the time or by someone else later (no matter who) does not help matters. I tend to get a little touchy when it comes to that.

And with no sarcasm at all, I wish you as well, a nice night.

Blessings,
    Bill

Apology was extended and I accepted, in a long drawn out yada yada.
    I felt guilt enough, without the dispatchers remarks, without remarks here. I wanted to do more, I just knew I could not physically get her from the car to the ground by myself. Can't do CPR on a person in an upright position. Still sitting here wanting to cry because of it all. Wish I could say I was PMS'n so at least I would have an excuse for it.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Mrs. Gungho, bless you for doing what you could, you were right not to try CPR without up to date training and PPE (personal protective equipment). Rep'd for being a concerned citizen, it's easier to walk away like many did.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    CPR pocket barrier

CPR%20MDI70-190%20Key%20chain%20pocket%20maskLG.jpg

First Aid Supply- CPR Mask | First Aid & Safety Online

I hate that style of barrier. If you carry it, keep it in the bag for sure. I used to carry mine wrapped up w/o the bag. It easily tears/cracks in the thing plastic around the mouth piece if carried folded up to a small rectangle, so don't fold it like that. I like these masks better (and I have used one, thankfully I had it available, as stuff will come out of the person's mouth):

0-10-1.jpg

Wait. I didn't think they even taught "give breaths" anymore... just chest compressions. No?

My understanding is that there are two schools which "certify" CPR. I know there is discussion to not worry about the breathing (they already got away from the 'check for a pulse' as the average person likely won't be able to find it or will be too nervous and it just takes up time.). Breaths are still in CPR, for now at least. Oh, just read the posted article, looks like things might change.

How would you people feel if that was your loved one there , and someone refused cpr? :dunno:

I can understand not wanting to do CPR. I would hope that people wouldn't mind doing the Heimlich maneuver though, as a perfectly healthy person could be saved by that simple technique.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    MrsGungho...... you did well. Thank you for caring enough to stop in the first place.

Good Samaritan Act for CPR and AED

IC §34-30-12-1 Gratuitously rendered emergency care; immunity
    (a) This section does not apply to services rendered by a health care provider (as defined in IC 34-18-2-14 or IC 27-12-2-14 before its repeal) to a patient in a health care facility (as defined in IC 27-8-10-1).
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person who comes upon the scene of an emergency or accident or is summoned to the scene of an emergency or accident and, in good faith, gratuitously renders emergency care at the scene of the emergency or accident is immune from civil liability for any personal injury that results from:
    (1) any act or omission by the person in rendering the emergency care; or
    (2) any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured person; except for acts or omissions amounting to gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I believe it is now 200 compressions in 2 minutes that has been "proven" more effective than standard CPR. This was loosely backed by evidence that people would actually regain then lose conciousness between the transition from compressions to breaths during standard cpr compared to the 200 in 2 minutes. IIRC it is the circulation of oxygen already present in the bloodstream that is most critical during the time before more advanced and effective methods can be employed.
    As long as you do not represent yourself as a medical authority (EMT, paramedic or doctor) you have no legal obligation to act.

For future reference...either the American Heart Assn. or the Red Cross (I don't recall which) has determined that chest compressions alone are nearly as effective as mouth to mouth and chest compressions.

CPR pocket barrier

CPR%20MDI70-190%20Key%20chain%20pocket%20maskLG.jpg

First Aid Supply- CPR Mask | First Aid & Safety Online

Top Bottom