• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Do you need to be registered as a Democrat or Republican to vote in the primary?

I can't remember.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    88 is correct again (she loves to hear that). No need to register or prove a party affiliation. I belong to neither party, but have voted in the R primaries (plan to do so again tomorrow)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hopefully, after this election the Republican Party will vote to close its Primaries so they can choose their own candidates without any help from the Dems.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88 is correct again (she loves to hear that). No need to register or prove a party affiliation. I belong to neither party, but have voted in the R primaries (plan to do so again tomorrow)

:): Oh, what woman doesn't?

It's just ever so much nicer to hear when it's sincere and not the attempt to stay out of the dog house. ;)

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    When I registered I was told I'd have to register as one of the two to participate in the primaries. I had chosen libertarian, and was told no go. So I changed it. There was no option for me to choose "no affiliation" or similar as I hate labels. But meh, I've revoked my registration altogether anyways so that's a moot point for me.

This was Fulton county. I have no idea how it works anywhere else.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    When I registered I was told I'd have to register as one of the two to participate in the primaries. I had chosen libertarian, and was told no go. So I changed it. There was no option for me to choose "no affiliation" or similar as I hate labels. But meh, I've revoked my registration altogether anyways so that's a moot point for me.

My understanding is that it is the same form statewide, my wife just did hers 3 months ago, there was no box to check that I recall. :dunno:

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    My understanding is that it is the same form statewide, my wife just did hers 3 months ago, there was no box to check that I recall. :dunno:

Maybe there's just different options when you register absentee or whatever.

Call me crazy, but the question shouldn't even be on the form anyways. It's irrelevant. Then again, so are most things we are forced to identify with these days.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Do you need to be registered as a Democrat or Republican to vote in the primary?

I can't remember.

Well, I just got back from the polling place, and they required me to choose Democrat or Republican when I signed in.
    What if I want to vote for people from both parties?
    I've never voted in a primary before, but in every general election I've voted in, I never had to declare a party affiliation.
    I should have asked them right then and there, but it wouldn't have mattered since I was voting all republican this time.
    Can someone please explain this to me?
    I get the feeling they think we're so dumb we might accidentally vote for the "wrong" person if they put everyone on the same ballot.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, I just got back from the polling place, and they required me to choose Democrat or Republican when I signed in. What if I want to vote for people from both parties? I've never voted in a primary before, but in every general election I've voted in, I never had to declare a party affiliation.
    Can someone please explain this to me?

Primaries are intra-party -- they're intended to sort out the candidates within the parties before the parties run against each other in the general election. If you vote for one race in a party, you are locked to voting on all races within that same party. Some states require you to register in advance (Oklahoma does), other states allow you to choose when you show up at the poll (like you did).

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    So all of this required shtuff... however you want to put it...

Isn't that the same thing as limiting your choices? IE: it's all BS? Setting you up to go in a particular direction? Giving you the illusion of choice?

Does any of it even matter? Aren't all the options kind of the same anyways?

Where's that Judge Napolitano "What If" video when you need it LOL

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, I just got back from the polling place, and they required me to choose Democrat or Republican when I signed in.
    What if I want to vote for people from both parties?
    I've never voted in a primary before, but in every general election I've voted in, I never had to declare a party affiliation..

You don't have to declare in the general election, only the primary. Which sucks because there are contested local races where the party affiliation doesn't matter but the people do and I'd prefer to be able to vote on both tickets. I wouldn't have an issue with say only being able to vote one party per office, but I hate that I want to have a say in the republican senate race but that locks me out of the democrat county council race.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So all of this required shtuff... however you want to put it...

Isn't that the same thing as limiting your choices? IE: it's all BS? Setting you up to go in a particular direction? Giving you the illusion of choice?

Does any of it even matter? Aren't all the options kind of the same anyways?

Where's that Judge Napolitano "What If" video when you need it LOL

Primaries are the vehicle each party uses to send their best to the general. Depending on different factors, some primaries are decided by party leaders and others are decided by the voting public. (Hat tip to mrjarrell, the explanation is well presented in another thread with a similar title.)

The primaries are the elections with the most choice.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

If you have voted in a party primary, you are thereafter considered affiliated with that party, until you vote in the another party's primary.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

Is Fulton County no longer part of Indiana? I think that you might have misunderstood what they were saying.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you have voted in a party primary, you are thereafter considered affiliated with that party, until you vote in the another party's primary.

"Considered affiliated" (whatever that means) is not the same thing as being "registered".

Top Bottom