• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, I went through a couple dozen pages of searches and couldn't find it...

A friend of mine is inquiring about the legality of his work requiring him and other employees to register any gun they may carry. Now that they can legally lock them in their cars (yay!) the company deems it necessary to see who and what is being left in the parking lot...

Any help on whether this is legal? can he ignore it and not register this guns? If he ignores it could he be fired?:dunno:

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    No don't do it, it's not required by law and are just begging to get your car broke into. Plus, this is just liberally dumb.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There is no legal reason to reg the guns with his employer however, keep in mind this is a screw you to the employee state, and the employer can decide they don't like the way he brushes his hair and fire him.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe they can ask for about anything they want. No law against asking, and no law requiring you to answer.

That said, they can also fire you for not answering, or lying, if they want.

If your friend feels that this new policy "has the effect of prohibiting" him/her from locking up their firearm, then toss a civil suit at the company.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I think it does have the effect of prohibiting.

Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

When the day ends, you can sue, cry, whine, yell or quit. You may not have a job anymore because you took a minute too long on your bathroom break. They will get a slap on the wrist for inquiring and you will be fired legally for something else.

Some here will tell you, your DETAILED constitutional rights are more important that having a job or career. I would ask you find those who have no money or jobs now and see if they still feel the same way. I say pick your battles, this may not be one.

If your 'feelin it', fill out the paperwork and register one cheap gun on it. If you're not, don't and don't talk about it. Assuming half the office knows about it already, better to fill out the forms and shut up imo.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Where does it say that?
    Debatable in court, possibly. But if an employee refuses to comply with registering a carry firearm and gets punished by refusing.

Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;

It would have to be tested, of course.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Maybe he thinks registering has the "effect of prohibiting"... While *I* would agree, I think it could be a bit of a stretch for many to agree.

I agree...what other purpose would a requirement like that have? What other personal items has an employer ever required knowledge of?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    And what is version 2.0 of the law? haven't heard of it...

The new language passed a year later prohibiting employers from asking if you had a gun in your vehicle, what type of gun, if it was loaded, how many rounds, etc. Apparently many employers were trying to keep lists of who had guns on the property...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I believe they can ask for about anything they want. No law against asking, and no law requiring you to answer.

That said, they can also fire you for not answering, or lying, if they want.

If your friend feels that this new policy "has the effect of prohibiting" him/her from locking up their firearm, then toss a civil suit at the company.

WRONG. :noway:

Effective 07/01/2011

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/SB/SB0411.1.pdf

Not sure where it got shoved into the IC...:dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I stand (mostly) corrected!
    IC 34-28-8

From how I read this, they cannot require that you share any information, and cannot provide any benefit for you voluntarily sharing any information (like provide insurance if you register your firearm with them).

They can still ask.

I guess so. There's a real fine line between asking and demanding when is comes to employee/employer relationships.

Top Bottom