• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a set of relatives on my wife's side that I'm not sure where they stand on guns. They know it's an interest of mine, have seen the empty .22LR casings by my back steps, seen the targets out in the back yard, etc. but I'm not sure where they stand. One made a statement one time about how he didn't think the .gov is interested in coming after peoples' guns -- I wasn't in the mood for a debate at the time-- so if I had to say, I would suspect them leaning toward the anti side of the spectrum. Having said all that, I don't talk to them about guns and carrying. I don't tell them I carry when at their house and they haven't asked. I'm not sure what I'd do if it came to a head--I guess that will be situation dependent -- I just don't bring it up unless I know I'm in like-minded company.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Half those yahoos are on meds for depression.

I wont compromise my own families safety because of their illogical notions. Thus, I carry the gun concealed, appendix right by my junk - that way they wont go near it.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    CC and keep them guessing. If they are truly anti-gun, just don't bring the subject up.
    You might let it slip that you have a LTCH. Having a wife with LTCH helps thaw things also.
    If they ask, then just say something like "I don't let people know if or when I am carrying".
    For OC'rs it might be a little more difficult.

I have a SIL that way for 25 years. This past Christmas I went to visit them and they told me
    that they actually went to a local range and took some lessons. It took a while, but I was thrilled
    and took the opportunity to offer any help or advice I could with firearms and carrying. Next time
    I visit them, we'll talk some more and maybe I will give them one of my guns for Christmas.

BTW: They are in Milwaukee and are truly afraid.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Ask you brother to get a better grasp on his Home....

Hold on there. It's not exclusively his home. By the same token, it's not exclusively hers, either. Both of the preceding statements depend, of course, on both of them being clear that they TOGETHER make the decisions in their home and marriage.

It's not that he needs a better grasp of his home. It's that his wife has opinions that are unpopular here. Opinions like that are best corrected by education.

Probably been asked a hundred times. But, what would you suggest, or what has been your experience when a sister in law wont allow guns in their home. Respect their wishes, conceal and lie about it or leave and don't visit their home anymore? Thanks.

For me, it's my sister and my mother who are anti-gun. Both live in other states. I've had guns in both their homes, and they were never the wiser. I didn't have a lot of choice: I won't go unarmed, and even if I chose to do so, I'd have to leave my EDC in my car at the Indy airport. NOT happening.

The topic of my EDC never came up. They didn't see it and I didn't mention it. We DID discuss gun rights, in both cases.

Of note: My sister has reason to be scared of guns... She used to be a bank teller and had them pointed in her face a couple of times. The idea of carrying legally was not an option back then, even if she'd been of a mind to do so. (Texas, circa late 1970s-early 1980s) She is slowly coming to the realization that the gun isn't what she has to fear, it's the criminal behind it... or the good guy who will save her backside with one.

So... carry, keep it quiet, and keep the peace, unless local law requires otherwise and will become a factor in the decision.

Blessings,
    Bill

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    While I currently don't carry, if and when I do I will probably be CCing. In the case that a relative was anti-gun I would continue to carry and if for whatever reason they found out and asked me to stop I think it would probably come to me asking them to decide between their opinion and us/me visiting again.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I've got a set of relatives on my wife's side that I'm not sure where they stand on guns. They know it's an interest of mine, have seen the empty .22LR casings by my back steps, seen the targets out in the back yard, etc. but I'm not sure where they stand. One made a statement one time about how he didn't think the .gov is interested in coming after peoples' guns -- I wasn't in the mood for a debate at the time-- so if I had to say, I would suspect them leaning toward the anti side of the spectrum. Having said all that, I don't talk to them about guns and carrying. I don't tell them I carry when at their house and they haven't asked. I'm not sure what I'd do if it came to a head--I guess that will be situation dependent -- I just don't bring it up unless I know I'm in like-minded company.
    This is me, too.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I don't have any family that is anti-gun and never had any say anything to me. Then again, almost none of them known I conceal carry so what they don't know will not hurt them. May save them, but that's a different story :).

Honestly, if you have a family member that does not want you to carry your gun in their home or on their property you should probably just respect that wish and when they ask why you never come to visit you'll actually have a good answer.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Took my 5 year old to a county fair up in WI last week. He played the shoot the cup with the cork rifle game. First time shooting a "rifle". Great learning experience for him listening and following instruction from the guy telling him how to handle it safely, aim, etc. Very proud of him.

We stayed at the in-laws on our way back to Indy. He told my MIL about shooting the rifle, you would have thought he took a $@-$ on her couch. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut, I was so livid. This is the same woman who lost her marbles when my cousin, an FBI agent, brought his gun into the house one time.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have to just accept the fact that when I am around my son and his family I will never be able to have a gun on me. Will I quit going to see them because of their feelings... HELL NO! At the price of never being able to see my grandchildren again, it is just something I will have to live with.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Took my 5 year old to a county fair up in WI last week. He played the shoot the cup with the cork rifle game. First time shooting a "rifle". Great learning experience for him listening and following instruction from the guy telling him how to handle it safely, aim, etc. Very proud of him.

We stayed at the in-laws on our way back to Indy. He told my MIL about shooting the rifle, you would have thought he took a $@-$ on her couch. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut, I was so livid. This is the same woman who lost her marbles when my cousin, an FBI agent, brought his gun into the house one time.

I would not have kept my mouth shut. Fortunately for me, my MIL, though annoying in her own ways, is not anti-gun. It's my SIL and she lives 1200 miles away. So we don't have to interact all that often.

I have to just accept the fact that when I am around my son and his family I will never be able to have a gun on me. Will I quit going to see them because of their feelings... HELL NO! At the price of never being able to see my grandchildren again, it is just something I will have to live with.

I guess some in-laws think it's their duty to promote drama. I used to hold back and bite my tongue to keep the peace with my wife's sister and her husband--rabid anti-gun, pro-obama, etc. After 30 years, I've spent the last several just not holding back. When they blather on irrationally about stuff like that, especially if it involves my son, I have zero inhibitions telling them what's on my mind. If they want to maintain a relationship with us, peace keeping is a two way street.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So, your GKs don't visit your house? Or do you lock all of your guns away in a safe when they do?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...when a sister in law wont allow guns in their home...

Well it all depends on the situation and location:

• Simply conceal, keep your mouth shut and don't hug her.
    • Ask her how she plans to protect you and your loved ones if something bad happens. Of course this simply leads to the debate that no one wins.
    • Lock in the car if the house you are visiting is not in the hood. Before some get too excited about this option what would you do if it was time to hop in the hot tub and there were kids in the house and no other place to secure your weapon?

...caressing the grip through my jeans...

Careful, coonfingering your weapon could result in an accidental discharge.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So, your GKs don't visit your house? Or do you lock all of your guns away in a safe when they do?

Oh yes. Everything has to be locked in the gun safe when they're here. Now that they've recently moved to Noblesville They don't come around as often so my guns are getting a lot of "out" time. ;)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For a website full of people adamant about their rights you all are quick to dismiss the right of a homeowner to ban guns on their property. Saying to OC to condition her is a ridiculous notion and incredibly disrespectful. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Desantis pocket holster covers the trigger guard, plus the "caresses" through jeans also involves a layer of denim between. But I may need to stop pocket carrying since I put Ameriglo night sights on it. The edges of the factory sights were much more rounded.

For a website full of people adamant about their rights you all are quick to dismiss the right of a homeowner to ban guns on their property. Saying to OC to condition her is a ridiculous notion and incredibly disrespectful. :rolleyes:
    That's a fair point. Their house their rules. My experience carrying in my insane SIL's presence has been at my house or in public. If we visit them we have to fly there. If they were just across town I'd probably still CC at their house unless they specifically asked me not to. But then I'd probably decline to go.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh yes. Everything has to be locked in the gun safe when they're here. Now that they've recently moved to Noblesville They don't come around as often so my guns are getting a lot of "out" time. ;)
    That sucks. :(

I had the pleasure of introducing my granddaughters to shooting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well it all depends on the situation and location:

• Simply conceal, keep your mouth shut and don't hug her.
    • Ask her how she plans to protect you and your loved ones if something bad happens. Of course this simply leads to the debate that no one wins.
    • Lock in the car if the house you are visiting is not in the hood. Before some get too excited about this option what would you do if it was time to hop in the hot tub and there were kids in the house and no other place to secure your weapon?

My inlaws arent anti gun, they just arent comfortable. I carry one of these in my Maxpedition jumbo next to my iPad. When we get to their neighborhood, I transfer from my holster to this and secure it in my bag and they key goes in my pocket.

MSE Worldwide, LLC - Life Jacket Locking Firearm Safety Cases

I'd carry a smaller traditional trigger lock, but I dont want to unload, and I dont feel comfy sticking ANYTHING through the trigger guard of a loaded Glock.

Top Bottom