• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's the gun for? For a carry gun, I'd not be super worried about reload speed. If you're capacity worried, it makes more sense to have twice the cartridges on board to begin with and reload half as often.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What's the gun for? For a carry gun, I'd not be super worried about reload speed. If you're capacity worried, it makes more sense to have twice the cartridges on board to begin with and reload half as often.

Yep
    Besides, she can train for shifting her grip the needed amount for speedier reloads.
    The 92/M9 platform has a lot to recommend it, as long as the person can find a way to comfortably carry it and manage the controls.
    Certainly plenty of firepower and quality, with legendary reliability, to be found there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Stop being all reasonable. Without seeing the OP's friend's concerns first hand it is really hard to make a suggestion. My assumption (we know how those are) are that the lady friend realizes a full size or larger gun is simply easier to shoot from a recoil and control perspective but her hands are small and she feels the double stack guns are large. Magazine release is secondary compared to being able to properly press the trigger which is a real concern.

My arthritic wife prefers 1911 with slim grips and medium length triggers or regular grips and short triggers. Incidentally I prefer those as well. The trigger reach could be further shortened. I can not reach the magazine release without shifting our grip. She is a lefty and uses her index finger. So smaller ladies prefer to use their support hand to trip the magazine release.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I'm not really sure if she plans to carry it or not. I'll find out. She has not previously been carrying. She took a class and used a FS M9. It did not go well. So she asked me what to get and I showed her my M&Ps but she didn't like the little Shield and she literally had to hold the M&P9 with a second hand to tag the mag release. Most of us have to do a little shift --this was excessive. Trigger finger was not as much of an issue. But less than ideal. Maybe thumbs just a bit shorter proportionally

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sig makes a couple of nearly full sized pistols that are single stack. The smaller one is the P239 and one size up is the P225A1. You can find the P239s used at a pretty good price quite often. The P225A1s are a little rarer as they haven't been out too long.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Lots of good suggestions, if not carrying, I'd prefer the 1911 with customized thin grips. I also have small hands, it's still a bit of a reach. Or how about a Browning Hi-power or clone? That fits me pretty well, too.
    Someone upthread mentioned SR9C. We had one and i did not like it. It was big and awkward for me, and the slide was really hard to rack...and i have pretty decent hand strength. Never had an issue with any other Semi-Auto handgun. Might have just been a lemon. Some people really like them.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If weight isn't an issue look for an "older" Smith & Wesson 3913 or similar Lady Smith. Little heavy by todays standards but soft shooting and well built.

Without a price point hard to answer.

If the mag release is that big of deal (though I'm not sure I understand why) - a revolver might be an option for her; assuming this is self defense?

If the gun isn't comfortable; one is much less likely to adequately train with it.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm not really sure if she plans to carry it or not. I'll find out. She has not previously been carrying. She took a class and used a FS M9. It did not go well. So she asked me what to get and I showed her my M&Ps but she didn't like the little Shield and she literally had to hold the M&P9 with a second hand to tag the mag release. Most of us have to do a little shift --this was excessive. Trigger finger was not as much of an issue. But less than ideal. Maybe thumbs just a bit shorter proportionally

Find her something that is comfortable for her to shoot. Then have her push the magazine release with her support hand. Might take an extra second or two to reload but like BBI mentioned not a deal killer.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The Ruger 9E is slimmer in the grip than a lot of single stack metal frame full size pistols, due to the grip panels on most of the metal frames. The exception is the 3rd Gen S&W pistols, their plastic grip panels are very slim. The 3913 is a very sweet little 9mm single stack.

The very slimmest "full size" single stack pistols are going to be the Kahr TP9 or a Springfield XDs 4.0 with the mag extension. Personally, I wouldn't trust a Kahr product as far as I could pick up their factory and throw it, and Springfield Armory is dead to me, but others may feel differently.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

What did not go well in the class? Outside of competition and impressive looking drills, reload speed is a non-issue. For a range gun and fun time, also a non-issue. If for some reason it's just a critieria she can't let go of, I'd look at a paddle release.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I'm curious as to why she is so intent on having a "FS". And what was it she did not like about the Shield. There are so many options out there. Sounds like she just needs to go handle a bunch, and shoot a few of those she likes.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The Ruger 9E is slimmer in the grip than a lot of single stack metal frame full size pistols, due to the grip panels on most of the metal frames. The exception is the 3rd Gen S&W pistols, their plastic grip panels are very slim. The 3913 is a very sweet little 9mm single stack.

The very slimmest "full size" single stack pistols are going to be the Kahr TP9 or a Springfield XDs 4.0 with the mag extension. Personally, I wouldn't trust a Kahr product as far as I could pick up their factory and throw it, and Springfield Armory is dead to me, but others may feel differently.

Why so hard on Kahr?? I've been carrying a Kahr daily for the past 4 years. Very reliable for me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why so hard on Kahr?? I've been carrying a Kahr daily for the past 4 years. Very reliable for me.

I've owned 5 or 6 over the years since they came out. Only 1 was reliable enough to carry, a CW45. It's been a long time since I've owned one, maybe they are better now. It's no secret that they are hit or miss. I consider them the Chrysler of the handgun market. No reason to mess with an iffy gun when Shields are selling for $300 or less, and are proven reliable.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've owned 5 or 6 over the years since they came out. Only 1 was reliable enough to carry, a CW45. It's been a long time since I've owned one, maybe they are better now. It's no secret that they are hit or miss. I consider them the Chrysler of the handgun market. No reason to mess with an iffy gun when Shields are selling for $300 or less, and are proven reliable.

I bought a Shield as a possible replacement. It was a lemon. Traded it and another pistol for a Sig 938. All brands have lemons from time to time. I bought the Shield because I was so impressed with a friend's Shield. But mine was crap. I would still recommend the Shield to someone, because I know they are great guns. One bad one did not cause me to loose faith. If I had 5 that were bad I guess that would be different. I have 2 CM9's and think they are great. Maybe I got lucky. I also really like how much smaller they are than the Shield. Personal preference.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Mentioned this a long time ago in the "what gun would you like to see made" thread. I'd like to have a single stack Glock 19/17. Thin like the G43 but with full size handling and better capacity, and no a G43 with a stupid long base plate is not the same thing.

I like the single stack 9mm for EDC. Currently it's a Walther PPS M2, previously it was a Kahr P9. I've had the Kahr for a long time and put many rounds through it. Mine has been very reliable. I went to the Walther because I like that trigger and ergonomics much better than the Kahr.

Other than a 1911 in 9mm there isn't a whole lot out there that would classify as a full size single stack, that's a shame too. Personally I'd rather have a 9 shot Glock like I described above than the fat little G26.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Think older,......S&W 39-2 or even the 2nd gen 439. Massively comfortable grip almost regardless of hand size.

Some other ideas,.....if she's going to be dedicated to this single pistol, reverse the mag release for a lefty and operate with her trigger finger.

I'm also of a mind that if you have 8, 9, or 15 onboard you really don't need a mag release(or a slide release). All you need is a trigger and an ability to shoot. People get by every day with a 5-shot revolver and no reload.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mentioned this a long time ago in the "what gun would you like to see made" thread. I'd like to have a single stack Glock 19/17. Thin like the G43 but with full size handling and better capacity, and no a G43 with a stupid long base plate is not the same thing.

I like the single stack 9mm for EDC. Currently it's a Walther PPS M2, previously it was a Kahr P9. I've had the Kahr for a long time and put many rounds through it. Mine has been very reliable. I went to the Walther because I like that trigger and ergonomics much better than the Kahr.

Other than a 1911 in 9mm there isn't a whole lot out there that would classify as a full size single stack, that's a shame too. Personally I'd rather have a 9 shot Glock like I described above than the fat little G26.

Agreed a slim, single stack, 4" barrel G19 size Glock would be just the ticket. Maybe a smidge long in the grip for a tuckable holster but with a little trimming just right.

My EDC work day choice is currently a Walther PPS classic. I like the Glock like qualities of the little gun. I can get me whole hand on it and at 20+ oz it handles well.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    See if you can find her a Smith 3914. It's a single stack 9mm and is pretty thin. If you were closer I'd let her try mine. While the Tangfolio Witness isn't a single stack it is fairly thin.
    If you're ever in the Avon area let me know and we can meet up and let her shoot some of my collection.

Top Bottom