• ...and so much more!
  • Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Ok,
    So, many are saying they are going to file for the Exemption.
    I’m reading in many letters from facilities they are looking for “ bonified” religious reasons
    I’ve searched and asked around and can’t seem to find anything but references.
    Does anyone have a link or a copy to a pre written religious exemption letter stating so
    Or
    Proper wording for this?

Thanks

Farmritch

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Not a lawyer, but I don't think there is a form in Indiana for a religious exception. Also, according to state law proof is not required.
    Hopefully, some in the know can confirm this.

I know at IU you just click religious exemption, and you get it in about 1 minute. (I helped write the software on this).

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Frontline Drs. site has some examples.

I wrote my wife's and I wrote it like a Masters Thesis for Seminary.

Her co worker wrote 3 or 4 simple sentences, not quoting the bible, any historical theologians, court cases or union and US department of labor agreements over the accommodation for religious beliefs.

Both were granted a temporary exemption with mandatory testing every two weeks. Many others were taken off the schedule. Not fired, not laid off, name still on the schedule, but they are not working. That is really a gutless thing for corporate officers to do. Especially when the Federal Courts have put mandates on hold, and OSHA has refused to enforce anything obiden demanded.

I was at the Hospital yesterday and the surgeon was complaining about staff shortages "caused by workers who 'think' they have the right" to question administrators. Maybe all non MD's should walk out for about 15 days.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm still figuring this thing will collapse in the court system.
    I sure hope so. I'm disgusted by the idea of having to play the exemption game. This should never be treated as legitimate in the first place.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is not legal advise- it is a academic exercise and basic blathering. I am not advising anyone with this post.

It gets constitutionally dicey to have to "prove" you have a specific religious belief to the gvt.

If whatever level of gvt. wanted to get serious, we could look at conscientious objector law for a parallel.

So what we know from the SCOTUS case U.S. v. Seeger is that to claim religious CO status, a person need not be a member of a sect that is exclusively pacifist and may be a member of a sect that is, in fact, not pacifist, but who has developed pacifist beliefs through personal religious study.

"In adopting the 1940 Selective Training and Service Act Congress broadened the exemption afforded in the 1917 Act by making it unnecessary to belong to a pacifist religious sect if the claimant's own opposition to war was based on "religious training and belief."The Congress recognized that one might be religious without belonging to an organized church just as surely as minority members of a faith not opposed to war might through religious reading reach a conviction against participation in war.”

Now, to be clear, this is based on interpretation of a statute. Therefore, the vaccine thing would depend upon the wording of whatever they claim the law or regulation at issue is.

Anyhoo, Seeger further stated that if a person had a religious belief, but did not believe in "God" as in "orthodox" (small "o") religions, it did not matter as long as it was their sincere religious belief. (This case did not deal with atheism).

So, I guess there could be an issue with a "sincere" belief versus a "convenient" belief...but who's to say and how do you prove it?

I mean, one way could be the convenient timing of a new belief about vaccines or the fact that this religious objection to vaccines applies to only 1 disease and no others with similar ingredients (not trusting the vaccine is not a religious objection). If it's based upon "pro life" issues, either not knowing any connection to abortion the vaccine may have and treating each vaccine the same regardless of the different connection (or lack thereof) they have....but that's getting pretty deep and unlikely to be explored.

Unlikely. Not impossible.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It's going to boil down to what your company's HR decision maker is looking for...

Any exemption claim, as long as it's documented to cover their ass?
    Verifiable, iron clad exemptions that might earn them a fight in court?

Don't be fooled, just because the OSHA rules are on hold doesn't mean that corporate HR isn't still moving forward with their plans. If they've decided to require the jab, then all employees will get it, or get gone. Indiana is an at-will employment state, and they don't have to find a reason (though some will).

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wrestled with this for a while. Ultimately, I was unable to come to a reasonable objection rooted in my religious beliefs. So, I provided a moral objection instead. It was not accepted. Here is an excerpt:

[omitted]

It brings me no joy to inform you that unless the lawsuit brought by the several states results in an injunction against the CMS vaccination mandate or another yet unknown relief is forthcoming, it appears that [omitted] will be the last day of my [omitted] employment eligibility.

I do not have sufficient standing for a medical exemption, and my stance against the mandate is not rooted in religious dogma. I am merely a free moral agent (as I believe all men are so created) and am so ordained with the responsibility to care for myself and for those entrusted into my care to the best of my ability. This burden is not shouldered lightly, and necessitates the careful application of reason, discernment, and experience. Since these are gifts imparted to all men, I can hardly claim them as a uniquely held religious belief. Instead, I must merely stand on principle, accepting that even as I am allowed to make choices that may impact the lives of others, so must I endure the consequences of distal decision-making.

If this is indeed the path that [omitted] intends to trod, my last shift will be on [omitted]. If there is an injunction and [omitted] delays their implementation schedule, [omitted] grants me an exemption under policy, or [omitted] reverses course, I will be pleased to stay on in my current capacity.

More than ever, it is becoming clear that the push for vaccination is becoming less and less about sound health policy and more about control. I appreciate the stance that [omitted] has taken (until now) in allowing their employees to make their own informed healthcare decisions. And while I understand the near impossibility of [omitted] divesting itself from the cash-cow that is Federal reimbursement, it still saddens me to see the continued erosion of liberty. As a lover of freedom and a man of principle, this is my line in the sand.

Stay excellent,

[omitted]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was asked about the religious exemption at work, but I said I'm terrible at lying, one of the reasons I don't play cards for money. I'll just wait till the deadline and see what they do.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wrestled with this for a while. Ultimately, I was unable to come to a reasonable objection rooted in my religious beliefs. So, I provided a moral objection instead. It was not accepted. Here is an excerpt:

[omitted]

It brings me no joy to inform you that unless the lawsuit brought by the several states results in an injunction against the CMS vaccination mandate or another yet unknown relief is forthcoming, it appears that [omitted] will be the last day of my [omitted] employment eligibility.

I do not have sufficient standing for a medical exemption, and my stance against the mandate is not rooted in religious dogma. I am merely a free moral agent (as I believe all men are so created) and am so ordained with the responsibility to care for myself and for those entrusted into my care to the best of my ability. This burden is not shouldered lightly, and necessitates the careful application of reason, discernment, and experience. Since these are gifts imparted to all men, I can hardly claim them as a uniquely held religious belief. Instead, I must merely stand on principle, accepting that even as I am allowed to make choices that may impact the lives of others, so must I endure the consequences of distal decision-making.

If this is indeed the path that [omitted] intends to trod, my last shift will be on [omitted]. If there is an injunction and [omitted] delays their implementation schedule, [omitted] grants me an exemption under policy, or [omitted] reverses course, I will be pleased to stay on in my current capacity.

More than ever, it is becoming clear that the push for vaccination is becoming less and less about sound health policy and more about control. I appreciate the stance that [omitted] has taken (until now) in allowing their employees to make their own informed healthcare decisions. And while I understand the near impossibility of [omitted] divesting itself from the cash-cow that is Federal reimbursement, it still saddens me to see the continued erosion of liberty. As a lover of freedom and a man of principle, this is my line in the sand.

Stay excellent,

[omitted]
    Very well written, I hope your company makes the right decision.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Very well written, I hope your company makes the right decision.
    It's a hospital, so I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, I still have my primary gig, so I don't have to try to go back to earthmoving at the onset of winter. Does put a crimp in any ancillary spending though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's a hospital, so I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, I still have my primary gig, so I don't have to try to go back to earthmoving at the onset of winter. Does put a crimp in any ancillary spending though.
    Got fired six weeks ago, I'm familiar believe me :lmfao:

Top Bottom