• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harley3320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    what are good scales to use.The Rockchucker kit came with beam scales but was looking into electric scales.Are those better or waste of money? also,digital calipers or standard dial one?

Thanks

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Never used a set of digital scales, I really like the RCBS beam scale I have.
    Calipers I have both and I tend to use the digital ones more

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Quality digital scales are faster than quality beam scales, but they have more quirks. The RCBS beam scales are really good.

Cheap beam scales are better than cheap electronic scales, but I wouldn't use them if .1gr precision is necessary.

As far as calipers, I prefer dial, but it boils down to preference. The same is true regarding quality ones being worth the money.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    Almost any reloading scale can be adequate for for most purposes. I use the Dillon Eliminator balance. The key thing to remember is the setup of the scale. It must be level and not subject to wind or drafts. Also, a set of check weights are essential. For example, when I load for my Garand, I use 45 grains of IMR 4895. To insure the my scale is correct, I weigh 45 grains of check weight first. By adding a 0.1 grain check weight I am able to discern the scale deflection for that much error.

Digital scales are faster, but are subject to the same limitations as mechanical balances.

Just my $0.02

Kevin

DOC1469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    I am relatively new to reloading and the one thing that I have been told not to go cheap on was scales. So I purchased the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo and it has been one of the best purchases that I could have made.

Top Bottom