• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • muzzlemike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Avon
    I just got my first reloader sat. I am looking forward to learning alot. just not sure if there is a difference in powder? I will be reloading pistol rounds mostly?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Lee Modern Reloading manual is another that is widely considered a "must have" Please take the time to read and understand all of the steps, components etc. I also suggest contacting Andrew here on INGO at Profire Arms. He has a basic reloading class that is VERY valuable to the new reloader.

http://www.profiresupply.com/

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Lyman manual is an exelent resource. Read it before you even begin to reload. Also, most powder companies have published data online. As said, not all powders are created equal.

muzzlemike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Avon
    I got it from profire supplys at the show they had. I did get the layman reloading book and my wife and I are going to take one of his classes too. there is just alot to learn to do it right. the difference in the bullets, powder,and everything else. Just alot of questions

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Taking the plunge and learning how to reload is something a lot of folks are doing these days. The important thing is you are asking questions when you're not sure about something. Stick to that approach, on every aspect of reloading you do, and you'll be just fine.

Set aside the reloading equipment you bought. Wait until the manual(s) come in and read the chapters on how to safely reload. In fact, read them more than once, so that it has time to sink in a little; you'll get more out of it the 2nd time through. It will gradually come together and the whole process will make sense.

Reloading is ALL about the details! Case lengths and bullet seating depths are both measured in thousandths of an inch; powder is measured in tenths of a grain; there are numerous primer types to choose from; there are hundreds of powder types to choose from and it is important to do things in a logical order. With all of that being said, reloading boils down to a pretty simple list of things to do.

1) Prepare the case to be reloaded (resize, deprime, clean and trim, if necessary).
    2) Prime the prepped cases with the appropriate primer.
    3) Charge the primed cases with an appropriate amount of the right powder.
    4) Seat a carefully selected bullet to the appropriate depth and crimp, if needed.

In a nutshell, that is reloading. Step 1 is the part that can be very involved, while steps 2, 3 and 4 are more or less just attention to detail. Knowing how to use your press and the various tooling are the keys to success. That's why taking a class is probably a good idea for most folks, unless you have a good mentor to work with. If you are sure you can proceed slowly and not do anything until you KNOW what it is you're doing, then following the instructions in a quality reloading manual will work just fine.

With all due respect to Farmritch, a chronograph is NOT needed for reloading standard pistol or rifle cartridges! People reloaded untold amounts of safe and effective ammunition long before chronographs became affordable enough to the average person, and many of today's reloaders have a chronograph, but rarely use it because it just isn't warranted. Stick to book loads, with known components, and you can skip the speed-trap entirely. Now, if you start reloading for wildcat rounds or other "specialized" ammo, with component combinations that are not in a book, then a chronograph would be a pretty good idea. Until then, yer good! ;)

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of good resources for the answers you need...just be sure to corroborate with your reloading manual or manufacturer's website, especially where load data is concerned.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I got it from profire supplys at the show they had. I did get the layman reloading book and my wife and I are going to take one of his classes too. there is just alot to learn to do it right. the difference in the bullets, powder,and everything else. Just alot of questions

Then you know where Profire is. Go back and sign up for a class - best money you'll ever spend.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Mike- well,now that you've had all the warnings about "you'd better do this!" and "you'd better do that"- Welcome to the new hobby! And,to your wife too-great to hear she's interested! As to your original question- Yeah,you're gonna end up with different powders for different uses; Unique works for alot of handgun calibers,but it's kinda dirty.Enjoy!

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lyman loading manual----scales-------loading class-----"Amen"

I have a S&W mdl 66-------that was DESTROYED by (the previous owner)NOT owning a reloading manual,or scales...

The guy went to a gun shop--said he wanted to load some target rounds in a .357---propieter sold him a pound of Bullseye-----the gun owner "filled" the case and seated a jacketed bullet on it------the gun actually survived the first two rounds---the third,blew out 3 chambers--broke the top strap---bent the frame--scarred the inside of the barrel----I bought the gun to show anyone starting to get into loading-----the local gun club borrows the Smith each time they have a loading,or safety class

I have been loading for 50+ years(NRA certified reloading instructor)--(for several years I had a 06 ffl,and made and sold custom and obsolete ammo)----Thank the man upstairs---I have never had a problem..
    When anyone enters my loading room,I stop--period------dont want to be distracted.

I have several loading manuals(I do a cross check,in case there MIGHT be a error in printing) --digital,as well as beam scales-----

It is a great hobby----procede with caution

tallend

muzzlemike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Avon
    I will keep a eye on profires web site and sign us up for the class. thats a good idea to get another loading manual to cross check them. Woodsie My wife was the one that pushed me to get into it I have been talking about doing it for about a year. My wife enjoys shooting as much as I do. Thanks

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Welcome

Welcome to INGO from the NE corner of Indy!

Lots of combinations of powder/bullet/primer and cases possible - all a little different.

muzzlemike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Avon
    I am finding that out which is a good thing. its just hard to figure out what powder is a good pistol powder to use. any help would be thankful.

Top Bottom