• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ok. Ive finally started seating some bullets. I have a question on overall acceptable length. My manual calls for a coal of 2.260. While setting up the die my first one came up way short so I'll be discarding it, but what is too short to be acceptable? I trimmed the once fired brass i got to a length of 1.749-1.751. Im using Hornaday 55gr fmjbt bullets and 24.5 grains of blc2 powder. Now that im more dialed in on the first 10 rounds im at a coal of 2.255 which is just under the manuals 2.260. I do have a few that are 2.230. Will these be ok to run thru my ar? The first one is 2.136 so im just gonna disregard that one but my 2nd one was 2.28. Should i toss that one too, or will i be ok? Im dialed in now right around 2.255, but definitely don't wanna shoot something that is seated to deep and cause an over pressure issue. Looked thru some internet forums for an acceptable "undersized length" but answers are all over. Thanks

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    You're starting at the min (as you should), and seating deeper with a RIFLE bullet can actually lower the peak pressure by giving you more free bore (leade)
    Counter intuitive if you've been loading (or reading about) handgun rounds, where seating deeper WILL raise pressures.
    As an example. look at chamber drawings of a .223 Rem vs a 5.56 NATO. The 5.56 CHAMBER has a longer leade to handle the slightly higher pressure of the Mil Spec round.
    Weatherby does pretty much the same thing with their hotrods.

If you're still skeptical, (and you should be, I'm just some random posting on the interwebz), a couple of light whacks with a kinetic puller will move the bullet enough to run it thru your seater again and get it to the proper length.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    2.260 is the Maximum OAL. Most bullets are seated shorter for testing. I load that bullet and powder with the same charge of 24.5g at 2.245 OAL, it’s a nice shooting light load out of my AR.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks again guys. Just wanted to make sure id be ok with a few of the first rounds in the 2.23 range. I figured they'd be ok but hearing from some reloaders just helps set my mind at ease. I do have my die dialed into an overall length of 2.255 now. Thanks again to everyone thats helped answer this newbs(to reloading) questions

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    No, that generally means you are either not using enough lube, using it in the wrong places, or using poor lube.

Sure, dies can vary, but chambers vary more. A larger chamber spitting out casings that are relatively large to be sized back to SAAMI body dimensions is likely at least part of the problem.

-Nate

A logical conclusion. However, I've been reloading since 1980 and have a degree in tool and diemaking. Yes it was a tight die. Nate: I could send it to you for evaluation :):?

To the OP: Looks like you're on track!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a small base carbide sizer die for .223. I guarantee that if you start using the carbide die, you'll become spoiled quickly. I highly recommend the EGW 7 hole chamber checker to check your finished ammo before boxing it up for the range. Things can and do get a little out of adjustment at times when reloading. The chamber checker is a great way to insure that your day on the range is enjoyable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ordered up a set of lee pacesetter dies to start out with. Midway seems to have the best prices. Ordered some hornaday fmj bt bullets and found what seems to be a good deal on some brass from brass bomber. Got 200 cases cleaned, deprimed, and swaged for $20 shipped. Now onto getting some powder and primers. Think im gonna go with cci 400 or cci 41 for the primer and h335 powder. Last 2 things i need to get to begin this newest venture. Thanks everyone for the all the feedback. I do have my boss to help out if i need some up close help. Gonna start off small and learn the ropes. Once i feel ive got the 223's downpat ill move onto the 300aac and then the 458 socom. Maybe eventually onto 9mm and 45acp.

Nothing against Midway USA. I've spent a LOT of money there over the past 10 years or so.
    Still, if you're in the market for LEE reloading equipment, you need to look here,
    Lee Reloading Supplies & Equipment | Titan Reloading | Lee Distributor
    They usually have the best prices on LEE equipment bar none.

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    For just general shooting I would start with the Hornady dies. One nice thing with the Hornady over the Lee is they use steel and not aluminum. Also the Hornady seating die has a floating bullet sleeve that is more likely to get the bullet in the case straight. I've had all of them and like the Redding best but it is quite a bit more and you won't notice the difference in ammo between them as a first time reloader. I use Redding for my custom match rifles.
    There is a difference in basic 55 FMJ bullets. The Hornady is the most accurate 55gr FMJ I've used. H322 @ 24.4gr has been a really accurate load in my LC brass. Follow the load manuals starting out. Sierra 223 Remington load data ca be found online and is much nicer than others.

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I suggest you determine COAL using the plunk and spin test. I would also invest in a chrono to work up loads if you have not already.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A logical conclusion. However, I've been reloading since 1980 and have a degree in tool and diemaking. Yes it was a tight die. Nate: I could send it to you for evaluation :):?

To the OP: Looks like you're on track!
    That is interesting Owl. Say, if you are equipped and educated as above, then why did you have to suppose you got a tight die from Hornady? Why didn't you just cast it and measure, or use one of your bore gauges? Did you scope the die to see if it just had internal finish issues?

I'm busting your chops of course, but you did have some jousting coming with your response. If you'd care to send me the die, I'd be happy to make it into something else, seeing as it has too much metal instead of too little. Just shoot me a PM for my address and I'll dispose of it for you! ;)

-Nate

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Mgderf. I did discover Titan reloading while searching for good pricing on 300aac dies and ordered a set from them along with some more breech lock bushings. Saved me a couple bucks over Midway but definitely faster shipping.
    Jmitch. Chrono is on my short list
    Right now basically learning the fundamentals and am definitely going to be getting one in the very near future. Not to worried about it till spring, since that's when ill be able to get out and test a few of the loads im making. Definitely erring on the side of caution foe now and not looking for match grade rounds.
    Did score 500 Berry's bullets at Cabelas for $39.99 and had $10 coming to me so basically $32 after tax for 500 bullets was a killer deal.
    So far I've worked up 100 rounds 55gr fmjbt at 24.5 grains of blc2 and 100 rounds of the same at 25.5 grains. Gonna shoot a couple of each this weekend to test them out

Top Bottom