• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Anyone who has a Nagant pistol knows that the 7.62x38R ammunition for it is extremely expensive.

I know it was about 10 years ago when I read an article in Shotgun News by John Malloy. He said that part of the time he shot .32 Smith&Wesson Long in his Nagant. He even reloaded for it.

You can buy .32S&W long ammo for less than the Nagant 7.62x38R ammo. You can reload it for about 1/3 the cost of new ammo.

I studied it and found that the .32 S&W long has almost exactly the same outer dimensions except for the length (which doesn’t matter since it is shorter than the Nagant cylinder).
    The Nagant ammo does have a little bit of taper to it. This will eventually cause the .32S&W to split at the neck, so keep an eye on it.

Here is my reloading data. After shooting the 32 S&W Long round you can use regular 32 S&W Long dies to reload the brass.

Bullets- .308 to .314 inch will work and lead SEMI-wad-cutters seat easily.
    Start with the lightest load recommended for 32S&W Long and the bullet you are using.

I used a .314 inch diameter, 98 gr. Lead, SEMI-wad-cutter and 1.7 gr. Of Winchester W231. The load functioned just fine and the mouth of the case didn’t split until it was reloaded 3 or 4 times.

I hope someone finds this useful.

louielouie

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think you can even buy a new cylinder for the pistol that is made for 32 S&W which should make your brass last longer.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Clay,
    I have seen those cylinders from time to time. I have never seen any reviews on them.

I guess the appeal of the .32 S&W long is that you can use the Nagant revolver as it is.

I don't know how many times you can reload .32 acp brass. I know I only reloaded my 9mm brass 3 times, but that was because I could pick up so much free brass where I shot.
    Sometimes I got so into picking up the brass that I didn't get to shoot very long.

I stopped reloading about 5 years ago. Too many other things on my plate.

Thanks for the input,

louielouie

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have a Nagant revolver that is a safe queen... maybe I have a new reloading project now (after hunting season of course) thanks for the insight.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    MORE NAGANT RELOADING INFO:
    From "M1895 " by John Malloy in the Shotgun News.

"For casual plinking, either .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long factory loads have been generally satisfactory for me. Accuracy may be surprisingly good. The undersized cases bulge, but factory pressures are low to accommodate the old break-open revolvers in which they might be used. I have never had a problem with fresh factory loads of any brand. However, for extra protection, the cases can be taped."

"For the handloader who enjoys challenges, the Nagant is made to order. There are a number of suitable cases that can be used, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. For full-power handloads that take advantage of the Nagant gas seal, new Bertram or fired Fiocchi cases are wonderful to have. Bullets no larger than .308" diameter are recommended, as larger bullets might expand the case and cause hard chambering.
    (The Russian bullets I have measured run .306"). For casual shooting where full power is not necessary, empty cartridge cases of calibers .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag., or 7.5 Nagant may be used as a basis for moderate handloads. Bullets of .308" to .314" may be used, as there is plenty of room in the chamber for these shorter loads. Start with the mildest loads listed for .32 S&W Long in any good loading manual. Taping
    the undersized .32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag. cases used for handloads with a turn of masking tape is a wise precaution, and will probably provide longer life for the brass. The .32-20 is a longer case, and although it will not provide the gas seal, it guides the deep-seated bullet well from the
    chamber to the bore. The bullet is loaded in a fashion similar to that used for the 7.62, but may protrude slightly beyond the mouth of the case. As with the 7.62, sticking with bullets of a diameter no larger than .308" seems best. If all else fails, there is the .30 Carbine case, to be loaded in
    the same fashion as the .32-20. I use lead bullets for all my Nagant loading, except for the 100-grain, .308" diameter Speer Plinker, which is half-jacketed. I have used bullets ranging in weight from 74 grains to 120
    grains. I have obtained good accuracy with all but the lightest bullet, which gave erratic results when used in short cases. RCBS dies for the 7.62 Russian Nagant work best for those long cases and can be used with some of the alternate cases. A handloader with access to dies for .32-20, .32 S&W Long, .32 ACP or .30 Carbine can generally load satisfactory ammunition."

louielouie
    P.S. If you want to send me your email address by PM I can send you the whole article.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom