• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I always loved shooting USPSA, 45 acp limited 10. Have not shoot in 4 yrs now due to wife's medical conditions and then mine, things are now all good and will be returning to sport next spring, with new pistol. I have a xdm 40 S&W that I have put 200 to 300 rns factory and runs good, was planning on developing a 40 rn with chrony this fall then my medical condition set in, long story short now it's cool to cold outside and I don't have a round yet. This is to all the ipsc shooters out there, please share your 40 loads with me:) mine plan was: load OAL-factory
    primers federal
    180 gn FP
    Powders on hand: Universal
    HP-38
    Titegroup
    Clays
    I need a major power factor of 165, I think this around 950 fps, (i nay be wrong, if so correct me) summertime shooting, strickly ipcs, I don't shoot steel or idpa. If you have proved loads for the above powders please forward them to me, include your OAL and crimp please. Accept my thanks in advance.:ingo:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    40 s&w

I have started reloading the 40s&w
    I use a cast 180 fp lead
    trying to get data is hard.Many have suggested the new Lyman cast manual
    for reference. or the Hodgeson reloading web page has lots of data for jacketed bullets.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    180 fp TMJ
    5.0 gr winchester 231, however i'll be switching to unique after this batch which is slower.
    large magnum CCI primers.

i haven't chrono'd this load but my lyman book says 921fps, which calculates to a PF of just under 167

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Of the powders you list Universal > HP-38 > Titegroup, and you couldn't pay me to use Clays. Or Accurate No.5. Another great powder (other than Universal) is Accurate No.7. Try SR-4756 if you want the ultimate in low-flash powder.

Visit www.hodgdon.com and www.accuratepowder.com for load data.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    let me ask another question: are any of the powers I've listed temperture sensitive? I mean if I chrony a load at 50 degress at 970fps will it still chrony that speed at 85 degress?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Clays was not a good choice when I was working loads for 180 gr lead in the .40S&W. It spiked the pressure up pretty quick and didn't give good accuracy. I am told that it works ok for real soft loads.

The edition #8 Hornady manual recommends titegroup at minimum 2.1 gr (750fps) to max 4.8 gr (950fps) with their 180 grain bullet. I have been happy with the accuracy running 4.4 grains of Titegroup at just over 900 fps.

I also had good luck with WW231 at about 5 grains. The manual says 5.3 is max.

I do not have published data for your other two powders.
    Good Luck

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    let me ask another question: are any of the powers I've listed temperture sensitive? I mean if I chrony a load at 50 degress at 970fps will it still chrony that speed at 85 degress?

If you stick to published loads, you will be fine.

"Just a little more" to make major in the .40 S&W is a BAD idea. And I would stick to powders in the slower half of the spectrum.

Universal, HS-6, Power Pistol, AutoComp, No.7, SR-4756.

Universal is my favorite .40 Powder hands down for jacketed bullets (it's just soooo clean) but No.7 gives me the best groups, is also low flash, almost as clean, and Hodgdon refuses to publish any lead bullet data for the .40S&W.

W-231/HP-38 would be borderline IMO. Titegroup is too fast IMO.

Powders I absolutely would not use... No.5 (too many kabooms noted with No.5, and really big flash), No.2 (double charge), Bullseye (double charge, besides being filthy), Unique (filthy).

Top Bottom