• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I now have the money to get into reloading. I have my press (kit), dies, etc picked out. Now I need to figure out bullets, primers, and powder. I want to reload 115 grain 9mm rounds for plinking. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Check out Montana Gold for a good supply of cheap bullets that fly really well. I think they are around 7cents per bullet, shipped. For powder it is tough to beat Titegroup, and for primers I like CCI, but Winchesters, Federals, etc. all work.

Assuming you already have brass, you can load 9mm for 12-15 cents per round, or about 1/2 of what it costs new.

ETA: Montana Gold Link. Looks like prices are a bit higher if you order in 1000rd boxes, but are in the 7 cent range for 3000round cases.

https://secure.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So many shooters have their pet loads using their favorite powder and primer combo; I personally like Alliant Powder for what I reload and will use a mix of either CCI or Winchester pistol primers for both my 9mm and .45 ACP reloads.

I use Unique powder which is somewhat dirty but I clean my guns on a regular basis so that doesn't really matter much. I do like Montana Gold Bullet for my bullet supplier...the support the NRA and several shooting sports like IDPA and USPSA. They have great inventory and will ship free to a business. I've ordered close to 7 or 8 thousand bullets from them so far and they usually ship the next day.

Montana Gold Bullet, Incorporated - Kalispell, Montana

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Any small pistol primer will be fine.

For powder any of the medium burn-rate pistol powders will work, HP-38/W231, Universal, Power Pistol, HS-6, No.5, No.7.

For plinking bullets you can use plated for Berry's or Rainier or FMJ from Zero (Roze) or Montana Gold. Those seem to be the least expensive. Roze always seems to be backordered lately.

(ETA: looks like they have some stock right now.)

If you want to save a lot of money look at lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, which are probably half again as much as the plated or cheap jacketed bullets.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Any small pistol primer will be fine.

For powder any of the medium burn-rate pistol powders will work, HP-38/W231, Universal, Power Pistol, HS-6, No.5, No.7.

For plinking bullets you can use plated for Berry's or Rainier or FMJ from Zero (Roze) or Montana Gold. Those seem to be the least expensive. Roze always seems to be backordered lately.

(ETA: looks like they have some stock right now.)

If you want to save a lot of money look at lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, which are probably half again as much as the plated or cheap jacketed bullets.

Just a word of warning on the cast lead...some guns (like Glocks) have polygonal rifling and don't like shooting lead. To the point they can be dangerous due to fouling. Just make sure if you go the lead route you have ensured your gun can hanlde it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I now have the money to get into reloading. I have my press (kit), dies, etc picked out.

If you have a kit picked out, I'm assuming you got scales with that. You should also pick up some calipers, a bullet puller, and if you didn't get a shell holder, grab one of those, too.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Hodgdon has their powder "recipes" online so you can just look them up.

I use titegroup for my handguns when I reload them.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have used Unique with 9mm 115gr FMJ's and that worked really well. However, I have recently switched to Titegroup because I think Unique is too dirty and I don't clean my guns as much as I should.

I recently acquired a digital scale and an RCBS Uniflow and those 2 items have made reloading 100 times easier. I higly recommend looking into getting both.

As far as bullets, I use mostly lead that I get from a guy at the 1500. The bullets are "Vance Bullets" and I think his stand always says "Brass and Bullets" on it. I use them for 45ACP and 357 mag and the bullets work great. I haven't had any leading issues, but I don't push them very hard either. I haven't tried the Vance bullets in 9mm yet, but I plan to once I get a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I started with 115gr, but ended up switching to 147 grain as they are longer and seem to seat more consistently. Titegroup is the way to go because you use so little powder per round and it is really cheap. I use only 3.4gr. I prefer TJconevera.com for bullets. Powdervalleyinc.com is great for powder and primers. I've had good luck with the russian (wolf or tula) primers, although many don't like them if you have competition tuned guns as they tend to be a bit harder. They also seat a little tighter which some don't like. Much cheaper though!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Currently I use 115 gr. plated RN Xtreme from TJ Conovera over 6.2 gr. Power Pistol with CCI 500 small pistol primers. Good value for me as I can make a round for about 15 cents if I use my own brass. They have shot without fail from every gun I own. (wish I could say the same for the Tula garbage I have). Sometimes use HS-6 also.

Got some 124 gr. JHP recently since what I read says they perform better, but haven't loaded any yet.

I have a digital scale from Midway and calipers from Cabela's (but I got it from a pawn shop, not them).

I use the Modern Reloading book from Lee's along with online sources.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

That's a great set up there to get started, and is EXACTLY what I use. I've added a Lee Pro 1000 progressive as I got impatient, and am on the track towards a higher quality progressive.

You will not go wrong with what you have there for sure.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I have tried titegroup in 9mm and didnt care for it. At that power level it is quite dirty. When loaded in .40 to major pf it is much cleaner, but I usually stay with Bullseye or N320 for 9mm, Bullseye being about as cheap a powder as is available, cleaner and usually easy to find., FWIW......

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm a big fan of Berry's plated pistol bullets myself. I also concur that Titegroup is a real good powder for 9mm. Bullseye, though more dirty than Titegroup, is equally as good from what I've noticed. As far as primers go, stick with what people have recommended, Winchester and CCI are hard to beat if you ask me. As for my current load, I've only shot off one group of it but it worked well for me:

4 gr Titegroup
    124 gr Berrys plated RN
    Mixed Brass
    WSP Primers
    1.15" COAL

I have not tried a 115 gr load yet as I don't have any bullets to do so, but let us know how they work for you.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I use 115 gr. lead bullets, winchester primers but there are many varieties that are cheaper. I started with bulleye powder. It is cheap and ive had no problems, except it dirties your gun up a bit but its cheap. I've only been loadin for a few weeks but im gettin ready to try 2400. I hear its pretty good for the price. Good luck!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I now have the money to get into reloading. I have my press (kit), dies, etc picked out. Now I need to figure out bullets, primers, and powder. I want to reload 115 grain 9mm rounds for plinking. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

You set firm on a 115 gr bullet ? I ask because the FNP I had just loved the dardas 122 gr FP :D As long as you have traditional rifling, it might be a nice option at only $ 60.00/1000 and reasonable shipping..

Link in case your interested

Click here: dardas cast bullets: 9mm

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For the OP, I've been kicking around the idea of reloading, and have been doing my homework on equipment. Check out Natchez Shooting Supply before you spend any money. It seems to me that they have even better pricing on reloading equipment than Midway does.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Check out Wideners for powder and primers, best prices. Fast shipping.

Try Black bullet international. Great prices and all their prices include shipping. Moly coated bullets, which means very little leading in your barrel. Kinda slow shipping, I have learned to always make my next order long before I need them.

Also, you may want to consider an auto indexing or progressive press eventually. To many reasons to list.

If you use Hodgdon powders, check out "Hodgdon Reloading Data Center" on the internet. A lot of great recipes for 9mm. Good luck!:yesway:

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm still using some 124gn Soft Points I got from Star Ammunition when they went out of business bought like 2 or 3000 bullets. I like Accurate No5 powder it's clean and will load every thing form .32acp-.45acp. That Keeps it simple for me, and helps out the budget.

Top Bottom