• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You set firm on a 115 gr bullet ? I ask because the FNP I had just loved the dardas 122 gr FP :D As long as you have traditional rifling, it might be a nice option at only $ 60.00/1000 and reasonable shipping..

Link in case your interested

Click here: dardas cast bullets: 9mm

Most all the factory loaded 9mm I have (except for Magtech) right now is 115 grain and all my 9mm's seem to like it. That's why I figured to stick with that grain.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a local range that supposedly has very competitive prices on powder and primers. That will save me shipping and Hazmat fee. I'm going to see what they have on Friday. Bullets may be be the only thing I order, unless I find a local place with what I need at reasonable prices. I still have not ordered everything yet, so I still have some time to look. Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll make a post once I get some loaded, and have a chance to test fire them.

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    Maybe these tips will be helpful to you. It took me a couple of years to stumble onto a really good 9mm 125 grain lead bullet scheme. You already have some very good suggestions. Here is mine.

I like Mike's Master Cast 125 grain 9mm bullets at: MASTERCAST BULLETS.
    They sell $48.21 per thousand at the time of this writing (7-27-2011).

Mike sizes his 9mm bullets to .3565" instead of the more common .356" sizing. I find that they fill the bore of my gun better than other cast bullets I've tried. I have weighed them, measured them, shot them, and enjoyed them for three or four years now. I love them.

My favorite bullets are Mike's 125 grain TCN (truncated cone nose) style. Mike says they are shaped very similar to some of the original 9mm bullets from the early part of the prevous century, although not the same weight, of course. I have loaded these bullets from 950 f/s to 1150 f/s. They shoot fine at all velocities in that range, but they seem to be the most accurate in my gun at around 1000 to 1050 f/s, with very little leading of the bore. My COL (cartridge overall length) is 1.12". For bullseye paper targets I like 3.8 grains of Alliant Promo powder which is the same as 3.8 grains of Red Dot, according to Ben Amonette at the Alliant Powder Company. There are cleaner-burning powders, but it is a moot point due to the smoke coming from the bullet lube used on all cast bullets. Promo is the cheapest powder I have found, but it is good. I save my cleaner (more expensive) powders for jacketed bullets.

I have used CCI500 (standard) primers as well as Winchester SP primers with good results. I use mixed range brass, except for serious target work. My lowest velocity plinking recipe is 3.7 grains of Alliant Promo powder (or Red Dot), producing an average of 1008 f/s through my 4" barrel in a Smith and Wesson Sigma. (That's a 10-round string.) It is just brisk enough to cycle my gun. Any slower, and the last round hold-open will not always engage.

Here is an exact quote from Ben Amonette, as far as a Promo powder recommendation for 125 grain 9mm cast bullets are concerned:

"I suggest from 3.8 to 4.2 grs. . . ."

That is inkeeping with Red Dot recipes I've seen in several manuals, both old and new. Overpressuring is not a problem within these limits. 3.8 grains of Promo or Red Dot will run somewhere in the mid-20K psi range.

Promo comes only in 8-lb canisters. Red Dot comes in 1 pound containers and other sizes too. Way back when I bought my Promo powder, it was around $72 per canister, out-the-door. It is cheaper than Red Dot (per pound), and it uses the same recipes BY WEIGHT as Red Dot. CAUTION: The volume of Promo is different from that of Red Dot. You MUST weight the powder that your disk, dipper, or machine throws. Do not rely on lists or labels to determine powder weight.

It is smart to get all of your supplies from the same place, especially if you are just starting out. Eventually, when you get into volume purchasing, you may find that buying from two or three sources will save you a bundle.

Have fun, and let us know how much fun you're having!

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I have a local range that supposedly has very competitive prices on powder and primers. That will save me shipping and Hazmat fee. I'm going to see what they have on Friday. Bullets may be be the only thing I order, unless I find a local place with what I need at reasonable prices. I still have not ordered everything yet, so I still have some time to look. Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll make a post once I get some loaded, and have a chance to test fire them.

I'm assuming you mean Atterbury, yeah they have very competitive prices on powder and primers. That's where I buy my supply's for reloading rifle shells, I assume they will have good prices on pistol primers and power too.

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    Shidler's Auto Service on West Washington St. in Indianapolis is another good place to buy handgun powders and primers, if you ever get to the west side of Indy. (8514 W Washington St Indianapolis, IN (317) 248-8110.)

Emil Shidler is mostly a shotgunner, but has good prices on all of his stuff. It's best to call first. He's a busy guy with a thriving auto service center. He'll treat you right, but look out. He'll tan your hide at trap!

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I reload 9mm 115 gn and favor Bullseye and I find Berry's plated bullets equal to most other jacketed versions. I tried Titegroup but I felt like it would be very easy to double charge a 9mm case because of the volume of powder being rather puny! Bullseye fills the case to about 1/2 volume, takes more in the long run but I feel more comfortable with that volume load. I'm pretty anal when it comes to reloading but then again I would look really ugly with most of my face gone! :twocents:

Top Bottom