• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Obviously, there are a lot of INGO members that re-load... I'm considering it but I'm wondering (ballpark) what type of initial cost would be involved for re-loading 1 caliber and how long before the equipment has paid for itself in ammo savings.. (I read the thread for beginners)..

How much can one expect to shell out initially for equipment, and how long (or how many rounds ?) before the equipment is paid for in ammo savings.

Thanks for the help

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you go bare bones and buy a used single stage or entry level turret press, used dies, inexpensive beam scale, Frankfort Arsenal calipers, skip the tumbler, and just copy the pertinent pages out of a borrowed loading manual, you could easily have the equipment for a single load of a single caliber (not counting brass, primers, powder and bullets, because that cost is caliber dependent and you didn't specify one) for $100. ROI depends greatly on caliber; 9mm will take longer to recoup cost on than an exotic caliber that costs $1 a round retail, but saving $5 per box of 50 is pretty doable even on common handgun cartridges. Maybe someone will give you a precise accounting, but I'd say 1000 rounds of loaded 9mm would be close to break even for the setup above. Maybe 750 rounds of .45ACP. A more expensive setup will take more rounds,longer, but perhaps less time, as you can crank out 1000 rounds on a progressive in a couple hours once you get the press set up. YMMV.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    powders range from 20-35 bucks a pound normally, depending on type and brand, primers from 25-55 per 1000, again depending on type and brand, brass varies a ton depending on calibers and especially brand, brands like lapua are $$$. Bullet range from 10-15 bucks per 100 and go up from there

Check Craigslist, ebay, newspapers and especially ingo classifieds. You can probably piece together all you need for less than 150-200 not counting primers/powders/brass/bullets.. You'll need a beam scale(or an electronic). I reccomend a tumbler, I've seen them as cheap as 20 bucks on ebay. Go with a single stage press with Lee dies and you'll save even more cash. You'll need to read the following thread too get all the tools you need.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html

John Wayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Im new to reloading myself and i bought all new equip. RCBS single stage press
    RCBS electric scale RCBS hand primeing tool. Lee carbide die for 45 ACP ALL for roughly

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Once you start to load a second caliber, you will notice ROI even faster. The initial start up cost is pretty high, but after that you only have to worry about a set of dies and components for the rest of the stuff. Many load recipes will even use the same powder/primer, and if you use Unique then you are set for a WIDE range of calibers.

If you go for a kit, you can get a large collection of useful tools pretty quick. The Lee Challenger kit is only $110, and has everything needed except for dies (~$30) calipers (~$30 for a cheap set, or the sky is the limit for a GOOD set) and components.
    Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

If you want to go for bare bones you can piecemeal a kit.
    Single stage press: $25
    Reloader Single Stage Press
    Scale: $23
    Safety Magnetic Powder Scale 100 Grain Capacity
    Hand priming tool $18 (+ the dedicated shell plate for ~$5)
    Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool

Add in a set of calipers and dies and you'll be good to go just off those items. The die set will include a shell plate for the press, and generally a dipper as well. A powder measure is handy, but not required.

You can piecemeal a kit a little bit at a time to stagger the sticker shock, and if you want better quality items (such as a better scale, or hand primer) you can upgrade them as you want without having anything laying around unused.

Or, if you want to go oldschool you can always spend $26 on the Lee Classic Loader and a rubber mallet.. Classic Loader 45 ACP

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I started with a rcbs kit and I think I spent about 350 or 400 fore every thing dies brass bullets All of it but I will tell u it is very addicting

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I would be starting with .380 since that a what I have but will need 9mm as well.

Primers and powder are the actual cost of reloaded ammo vs factory loaded. That cost varies but I was looking for average startup cost for equipment and how soon its recovered on average.

Digital scale and caliper seem like a must. Lots of good info here.

I work at a car dealership and have access to used wheel weights which could bring cost down as well if I wanted to get into casting in the future. For now, I've got more reading to do.

Thanks for the tips :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Reloading and ROI comes up as a topic every few months, or so. In this day and age of cost-conscious buying, I guess it makes sense. What you'll discover if/when you get into reloading is that it's as much a hobby, as a cost/benefit activity. In other words, how much you save per "X" number of rounds, or when you realize a return on investment will become immaterial. You'll get to the point where it's like fishing or golfing; have you ever asked yourself when that new putter or rod/reel combo is going to pay for itself? No, of course not.

Yet, you can get set up to reload a single caliber for the cost of a quality fishing rig and for what a good putter will set ya back, you can be getting close to a progressive setup! :D The point is, reloading is not just a way to save money on ammo! It is a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable hobby; a great way to spend an afternoon. In fact, it's an awesome hobby to have on those cold winter days when there just isn't much else going on! ;)

So, when will you finally break even after you buy all your reloading stuff? Well, that really does depend on the equipment you buy, the specific cartridges you reload, and how many rounds you shoot in a given time period. What I can almost guarantee is that by the time you reach that point, you won't care at all. It won't be like watching your odometer roll over 100,000 miles...you will forget all about ROI and just enjoy a great hobby that also happens to save you a few bucks every time you shoot a box of shells.

That's the real answer to your question! :ingo:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Reloading and ROI comes up as a topic every few months, or so. In this day and age of cost-conscious buying, I guess it makes sense. What you'll discover if/when you get into reloading is that it's as much a hobby, as a cost/benefit activity. In other words, how much you save per "X" number of rounds, or when you realize a return on investment will become immaterial. You'll get to the point where it's like fishing or golfing; have you ever asked yourself when that new putter or rod/reel combo is going to pay for itself? No, of course not.

Yet, you can get set up to reload a single caliber for the cost of a quality fishing rig and for what a good putter will set ya back, you can be getting close to a progressive setup! :D The point is, reloading is not just a way to save money on ammo! It is a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable hobby; a great way to spend an afternoon. In fact, it's an awesome hobby to have on those cold winter days when there just isn't much else going on! ;)

So, when will you finally break even after you buy all your reloading stuff? Well, that really does depend on the equipment you buy, the specific cartridges you reload, and how many rounds you shoot in a given time period. What I can almost guarantee is that by the time you reach that point, you won't care at all. It won't be like watching your odometer roll over 100,000 miles...you will forget all about ROI and just enjoy a great hobby that also happens to save you a few bucks every time you shoot a box of shells.

That's the real answer to your question! :ingo:

This is another very good perspective. I have 5 children at home and my wife has muscular dystrophy (so she can't work) and for me, virtually everything I do centers around cost.. My shooting 'hobby' isn't too expensive as it is. If I were only going to save $4 or $5 per 50 or 100 rounds then it might not be worth the initial outlay and time spent 'away' from the family.

These are all indirect costs that I must consider as well. Hobbies cost "time" and for me time is a commodity LOL.

I work almost 60 hrs a week as a service advisor for a large dealership and that keeps me very busy.. There is an endless 'honey do' list at home.. The time vs savings benefit is what I'm trying to analyze as well. If it won't save me too much money but will take quality time from the fam, then I might pass on adding another hobby for the time being LOL.

While I can see how it would be very cool, relaxing, and how one can get in the zone while re-loading.. This added perspective might keep me from adding this additional hobby for the time being.

Thanks for all the tips though.. I'll definitely keep reading and if the initial outlay in equipment isn't too much, and I can crank out a few hundred rounds in an hour or two, I might just 'pull the trigger' LOL

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    The last two posts have it right. To consider reloading in terms of an ROI calculation must consider the value of your time. Time is usually measured as an opportunity cost- what did you not do because you doing what you were doing. If you spend two hours a day reloading, what would the value be of whatever else you could have been doing during those two hours? Then the question becomes what is more valuable- the savings/enjoyment/relaxation/whatever you get from reloading, or the cost + opportunity cost of reloading?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My initial cost to start reloading 9mm, minus bullets, etc, was $289. I also reload .223 as well as .308. I have already saved enough money to cover the initial cost.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for all the tips though.. I'll definitely keep reading and if the initial outlay in equipment isn't too much, and I can crank out a few hundred rounds in an hour or two, I might just 'pull the trigger' LOL

Well, when it comes to reloading, especially for pistol rounds, you can EITHER limit the initial outlay for equipment, OR crank out a few hundred rounds in an hour or two. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do both. If you don't have the money for a progressive like the Dillon 550, or the time to enjoy reloading as a hobby, with a single-stage or turret-style press, then you probably should stick to buying a box or two and shooting them when ya can.

Reloading isn't for everybody, but as the kids get older (my four are ages 11 and up) they don't need as much hands-on time. In fact, all of mine have helped me with reloading, which gives me quality time with them, teaches them some good lessons in self-sufficiency, and also helps me keep shooting costs down.

If your kids are anything like mine, they'll be wanting to shoot and then it becomes almost imperative that you reload! My son is turning 18 this month and graduating HS. For his birthday we're doing a shooting party, where 3 of his buddies come over and we shoot until the boxes are empty and their shoulders are sore! Even with reloading, that gets expensive, but I'm happy that my kids know how to shoot AND what to do with the brass. ;)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    ....as the kids get older (my four are ages 11 and up) they don't need as much hands-on time. In fact, all of mine have helped me with reloading, which gives me quality time with them, teaches them some good lessons in self-sufficiency, and also helps me keep shooting costs down.

If your kids are anything like mine, they'll be wanting to shoot and then it becomes almost imperative that you reload! My son is turning 18 this month and graduating HS. For his birthday we're doing a shooting party, where 3 of his buddies come over and we shoot until the boxes are empty and their shoulders are sore! Even with reloading, that gets expensive, but I'm happy that my kids know how to shoot AND what to do with the brass. ;)

Mine are 12, 9, 5, almost 4, and just turned 2. My older 2 boys have been to the range w/ me once already and they continually bug me to go again (we are today w/ Uncle Matt)... the younger 3 are still too young to participate.

Family time is hard for me to come by and I gotta make the most of it as I can...

Hopefully, we can get into reloading in the future but I don't think it's in the 'affordable' time budget right now.. boxes of .380 aren't too bad and my boys like plinking w/ a Ruger .22 that the range 'rents' .. they can blow through a few hundred rounds and it's only $15.. well worth it IMO

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it weren't for reloading, I would have NOTHING to show for a ton of money I have spent thru the years !

Seems like so many look at the cost savings per round when they consider whether to start reloading or not. I kinda look at it from a different angle.

Even though I have reloaded for over 25 years, I have changed my thinking a little over 10 years ago. Now days I load for (3). Myself, wife, and son. We are strictly seasonal shooters. We do not like indoor ranges and numb fingers in the winter... We shoot often probably 8 months a year, and shoot somewhere in the ballpark of 5000-8000 rounds a year.

What I decided to do about 10 years ago was "allow" a monthly budget of $200.00 a month on not " gun " stuff, but rather reloading stuff, majority being consumables... I regularly order each month, regardless of the month, 12 months a year.

Now 10 years later, even factoring in the fact how much a season we shoot, I am sitting on quite a stash of bullets, cases, and primers... Powder, now I keep to a certain level but don't get too carried away with it due to my home owners insurance... I know all to well that if we would of spent that $200.00 a month on loaded ammo instead of on components, we would have nothing to show for it and would be running to Walmart before each range trip and be at the mercy of some potential ridiculous pricing and availability issues...

There's nothing that can beat shooting ammo you built with components you bought 10 years ago with the pricing of 10 years ago.

Good luck with your decision !

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I reload 9mm and .223 (2 of the least expensive rounds to buy so your margins are less) and in my start up i spent about $300. I found that i save about 50% (not counting brass because it can be reused a few times). I have by far payed for my press and initial set up already. Its a fun hobby and i like to get out there and load later at night and open up the garage and just sit there while its nice and quiet and just crank out bullets

Top Bottom