• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a bench that is two feet deep and eight feet long, sits on top of two, 36" cabinets at each end. My question is if you had this where would you mount your equipment and why? All my equipment is rcbs. T 7 turret press, trim mate case prep center,trim pro electric and a charge master 1500 powder feeder and scale, I also have a hornady tumbler. I have looked at what people have posted and I am looking for some ideas for the ideal positioning,
    Thanks
    Oh and by the way I have to thank my wife for the complete set up including the cabinets she finished

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    It really depends on how you work. I have mine set up so we can use 2-3 presses at once. I do the tumbling, media separating and primer tube filling at one of my other work benches. I have my Dillon 650 on the left so someone can set the bullets on the cases when we run it as a 2 man team for speed. The single stage in the middle so it can be used from either side and the turret right of center as it gets used the least at this point. The turret is set up on a removable base. When removed a 12 gauge shotshell press fits on the same bolt setup. Dies are stored on the shelves so they are handy. The second picture is of the storage box for case feed discs, primer tubes and tools. (tool caddy has been added to the end of box) This sets behind the Dillon press as it goes with it. Case prep station is on the far right. But can be moved to the other work bench if I want to prep cases and watch TV at the same time.

001-2.jpg

storage1.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Organization?? Whats that??

Looks good Steve, been awhile since I've been over to see it.
    Oh, btw, Happy late B-day. Mike told me about it a little late to get there.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Tagged!

I have a 3X3 roll around steel bench that I've used for 20? years. But....now that my son is doing much more and shooting highpower we needed to step up our production and precision, we've out grown it. Also, the roll around bench has been in the same part of the shop for 10 years. So we are looking to build and organize a bench.

I have 4' wide pallet rack at the back of the shed, with the first crossmember about 6'6" so the table tucks under there nicely.

Two thoughts, I also have some 2' wide rack (12' high) , set the first shelf at bench top height (build a nice solid top for it and mount the presses to it.) Then have a a couple more HD shelves above. Or Build a nice solid bench and place it under the existing 4' rack overhead.

As far as organizing: All the presses pull with the right hand leaving your left to feed bullets and brass. Make sure you have clear area to the left for easy reach of these items.

Case cleaning is done away from the reload bench. Don't like the tumbler noise/mess nearby. Just recently got into the wet tumbling with stainless pins. So I don't want water near the reload bench.

White laminate linen display cubes salvaged from a JC Penney store keeps my supplies and loaded ammo to the right of the reload bench.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Also you want the bench SOLID so the press doesn't shake the electronic scales. Mine isn't so the scale is off to the side on another pallet shelf.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Just want to say thanks for all the input. Here's what I did, bought 4x8 birch plywood, cut to 2x8 glued, nailed and screwed the two together mounted on two 36" base cabinets, with 24" between them in the middle. Bolted to the wall with a 1x2 inside the cabinet. Screwed plywood to the cabinets. Used banding on the edge of plywood so it looks like one solid piece . Mounted press off to the right of center, drilled through plywood and used washers on top of press and under plywood. Punched out 600 primers and everything seems to be very sturdy. Going to leave tumbler on floor when using it. Have not mounted trimmer yet but will get to that tomorrow. Will post pix's when I figure out how.
    Again thanks for all your advice.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Just want to say thanks for all the input. Here's what I did, bought 4x8 birch plywood, cut to 2x8 glued...

My basic structure is similar, though instead of directly mounting the presses to the bench, I inlaid two rows of aluminum T-Track, and then mounted the presses on wooden or metal plates. The plates are then attached to the T-Track using bolts. This allows me to easily reconfigure the bench as needed, as I perform different tasks or add new presses/other tooling to the collection.

I used the T-Track for 3/8" bolts found here.

I also have shelves above the bench for storage of powder, primers, tools, etc...

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    It really depends on how you work. I have mine set up so we can use 2-3 presses at once. I do the tumbling, media separating and primer tube filling at one of my other work benches. I have my Dillon 650 on the left so someone can set the bullets on the cases when we run it as a 2 man team for speed. The single stage in the middle so it can be used from either side and the turret right of center as it gets used the least at this point. The turret is set up on a removable base. When removed a 12 gauge shotshell press fits on the same bolt setup. Dies are stored on the shelves so they are handy. The second picture is of the storage box for case feed discs, primer tubes and tools. (tool caddy has been added to the end of box) This sets behind the Dillon press as it goes with it. Case prep station is on the far right. But can be moved to the other work bench if I want to prep cases and watch TV at the same time.

001-2.jpg

storage1.jpg

Your bench looks great. Would you mind posting the specs? It looks like you used 4x4s for the legs. What did you use for the top and the shelf?

Top Bottom