Reloading bench tips, recommendations, etc..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I am not at liberty to discuss the bench on which 90% of my match ammo was loaded.

It's true that no loading bench will ever set a record, kill an animal, or win a match.

I just finally got fed up with the way things were, so I built a new bench the way I dreamed it should be. Good or bad, I spend a fair amount of time there, so I wanted it to look and feel nicer than the bench where I sharpen chainsaws...not that there's anything wrong with that bench.

-Nate

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I built this one a few years ago and it's served me well. The legs are double 2x4 and the top is 3/4" plywood. Everything is glued and screwed. It's very solid and stable and does not have to be attached to the wall. I think the materials were about $70.

Loading bench 3.07 004.jpg

IM000856.jpg

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'd stopped at a garage sale couple years ago and found 3 solid doors for sale. I bought them for $25 and used one as a workbench. Good enough for a heavy duty vise.
    I used the second as a reloading bench. I have my Dillon 650, 2 single stage presses and a sizer-luber on it. I still have plenty of room for my Lyman Spar-T and many other (imaginary) loaders.
    Still haven't found a use for the third.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I made mine from 2X4's and an old butcher block counter top, but if you want to do something quicker, Rural King has a decent looking bench I saw a couple days ago. Not sure how thick the top is, but once it was attached to the wall it would be solid and the drawers underneath would be handy.
    View attachment 61837

Harbor freight sells the same design workbench, but looking over both I'd have to say the HF one is better finished at least. They are also having a sale on them Jan 12-14 @ $125. I THINK their 20% off coupon will work on that too, it does when they are full price anyway. May pick one up, can always use a good workbench and this one seems at least adequate for most uses.

I have a dedicated reloading room in one of my bedrooms. My current reloading bench is a Craftsman workbench, has a fiber top, 4 drawers on one side and a cabinet door with 2 shelves on the other. Currently mounted to it is a Lee Pro 1000 and a Lee Challenger single stage. I had to take the MEC Sizemaster Junior off to get the Challenger to fit. Much too narrow for my needs. Screwed to the wall, solid as can be.

My recently purchased Dillon XL650 is getting a new bench on the other wall, top is a 6 foot laminate kitchen countertop with a 3/4" plywood sheet screwed and glued underneath. 2X4 and 2X6 construction underneath with a shelf and screwed to wall and floor. Got all the materials, just gotta find the time to build it! And a second general purpose bench is going in there too, Menards has a $50 2X6 top 6 foot bench kit I picked up the other day. Depending on how smooth the 2X6 top turns out I may leave it as is or laminate some plywood over it. General gun work and catch all probably! Need to get some shelving put up too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a 3/4 plywood screwed down to a 2x4 frame I wouldn't hesitate to stack a car on top of. I used to use the bench for a jeweler's lathe and a runt drill press, so it's stout. One thing I haven't seen here has been static discharge. As soon as I get into powder and primers, dust and potential spills, I don't want a spark off my finger to blow the place up in my face. Look at electronic supply places for static dissipative mats and wristbands. You can get a blue vinyl(like) mat big as you want, cut it to size, and ground it. You'll also want the wristband, which clips to the same grounding point. These do NOT short everything to ground, so you won't be getting electrocuted, but they dissipate the static electricity to prevent sparks. This is more important during our low humidity winter.

Top Bottom