• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I am wondering what your thoughts are on reloading brass that has been obtained from a range, I see a lot of brass laying out there that seems to just go to waste.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    yeah, do it all the time. like with my own brass i make sure its inspected well, for defects and brand and all that. i have to keep from being too greedy or i'll be standing at the next alley waiting for another round to eject.
    some ranges frown upon the practice of just randomly picking up brass, as they usually make money off of it to pay for expenses and such. another reason why I don't get too greedy, I stake off limits, like, my alley and the ones immediately adjacent to me I'll pick up. kindly ask the next guy if he wants to keep his before going nuts on it all tho.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    My son lives in NM and told me that his friend will sell him a five gallon bucket of 223 and a bucket of 45 acp for $120.00 a bucket, just wanted to know if this a smart thing or not. I do check all my brass very well before reloading and will not reload anything questionable.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My son lives in NM and told me that his friend will sell him a five gallon bucket of 223 and a bucket of 45 acp for $120.00 a bucket, just wanted to know if this a smart thing or not. I do check all my brass very well before reloading and will not reload anything questionable.
    I check ALL my brass !!!!! and RE check it !!!!! I clean it in small groups, and inspect as I go. The brass is FREE, so a little time invested, is time well spent !!!!!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I snag every piece of brass I can. I am courteous tho. I pick up anything around my area and then offer other shooters theirs if hey want it. Most of the time, they don't want it. I inspect, sort by head stamp into lots of 100, and then clean it when I get around to using it.

I bet I spend more time sorting than loading.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

This is a very good deal. I would be all over this, if it was offered to me.

That is at least 3500 .223 and 5,000 45 ACP.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Nah, you can't just pick up brass at a range and reload it. If it's been on the ground for more than 20 or 30 minutes, the stuff is junk. I mean, if you want to pick it all up and sell me 5 gallon buckets of it for $120, I guess I could pay you for it and try to recycle it, or something. But, as far as cleaning, sizing and reloading it back into effect ammo, you can't really do THAT.

Note: Use of purple font indicates post absolutely dripping with sarcasm...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Nah, you can't just pick up brass at a range and reload it. If it's been on the ground for more than 20 or 30 minutes, the stuff is junk. I mean, if you want to pick it all up and sell me 5 gallon buckets of it for $120, I guess I could pay you for it and try to recycle it, or something. But, as far as cleaning, sizing and reloading it back into effect ammo, you can't really do THAT.

Note: Use of purple font indicates post absolutely dripping with sarcasm...

Geez dude, don't get that sarcasm on my brass.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    The Elwood Conservation club picks up brass left behind and sells it. I'm not sure who they sell it to though. I pick up my brass and any brass left around the shooting bench. I don't reload but I'll have it if I ever start reloading.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

That's not a bad deal if it is brass and no steel in it go for it even if you have some cull brass you still can't buy it for that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Many ranges are affiliated with a reloading company and they work the deal to offset the cost of reloaded ammo to help keep prices low.

For pistol brass, I never have any problem reloading range pickup. Sometimes semi auto rifle brass can act up if the last shooter has an oversized chamber or the last reloader pushed the shoulder too far back during resiziing. Case head seperation a hazard. I all fairness, I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through M1a's and AR's and only had a handfull of head seperations.

For .223 or .308 I have three personal rules:
    1) I always prefer brass that still has the original crimped primer
    2) deep scraches and gouges are a place to start a split, when in doubt, throw it out!
    3) I keep unknown history range pick up brass seperate for casual shooting. A match or any other time I want 100% reliablity, I use known quality brass.

I learned number 3 the hard way, during a registered match where I had a chance to win my division. It was a bad time to jam up a rifle.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Pick it up and reload it.
    Watch out for steel cases find them with a magnet and pitch them, small and large primer pockets on 45 ACP as well as berdan primed brass.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Sometimes you will strike gold..Like when the police swat teams practice and leave their Federal Match .223 and .308 brass neatly packaged in their boxes after being shot. Throw all Remington .45 ACP brass away..dangerous stuff as it will not resize and hold a bullet tight.

Top Bottom