• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    After you load a round with a cast boolit, do you clean the excess lube that gets on the case?

I've noticed lube on the cases of some that I've loaded. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to flare the case more.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you mean bullet lube? I've loaded some that were on the messy side before with hunks of excess lube all over the place. I wipe it off as well as I can but don't really worry about it too much as they ran through a revolver. It was a pain because it kept crudding up the seating and crimp dies. I only used those once. Now I opt for cleaner bullets.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Just wipe the excess off a bit. The bigger problem you will run into if you have that much excess lube is gunking up your seating die. You will have to keep an eye on that or your seating depths will change. I try and stay away from manufacturers that have that much lube on their bullets.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Cast Bullets??

I shoot my own cast bullets and I lube with this
    Jake's Products: Ceresin Scarlet

I do have to heat it to flow correctly, but after sized properly and cooled off, it does NOT gum up my dies.

Missouri Bullet Co. has GREAT bullets that do not gum up much at all. They (MBC) also have GREAT service+Lightning Fast shipping--Check them out.

The only cast bullet gum problem that I have had was when using Lee Liquid Alox, when I would tumble lube, and load.--Pretty messy..

If you use "Messy" type of lubed bullets, you can use Dillon Dies for the best operation. The Dillon pistol dies have "Hair Pins" that can be removed to disassemble and clean the seater die, and the crimp die, without loosing your die adjustment...Bill.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I shoot my own cast bullets and I lube with this
    Jake's Products: Ceresin Scarlet

I do have to heat it to flow correctly, but after sized properly and cooled off, it does NOT gum up my dies.

Missouri Bullet Co. has GREAT bullets that do now gum up much at all. They (MBC) also have GREAT service+Lightning Fast shipping--Check them out.

The only cast bullet gum problem that I have had was when using Lee Liquid Alox, when I would tumble lube, and load.--Pretty messy..

If you use "Messy" type of lubed bullets, you can use Dillon Dies for the best operation. The Dillon pistol dies have "Hair Pins" that can be removed to disassemble and clean the seater die, and the crimp die, without loosing your die adjustment...Bill.

Even with shooting good cast like Missouri or dardas it is still a good idea to inspect and clean your dies on a regular basis. All lubed cast bullets will eventually put deposits in your dies. Like billybob says dillon dies make it easy to clean without losing your settings. I use all dillon dies in my 650.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I wipe the chunks off the cases, but don't worry about it too much. Bullet lube on the cases has never cacaused me any problems. Bullet lube gunking up my dies, that will cause problems.

Top Bottom