• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Ok, so perhaps I am confused. The "slamfire" as I understood it was when actually using the reloaded ammunition in a firearm. If the primer was not seated correctly, the action of the firearm could cause the bullet to discharge prematurely and without the trigger being pulled. Therefore, single or bolt action weapons were okay, but an AR for example could have an issue if the reloaded ammunition had a primer that wasn't seated correctly. Am I all wrong? Perhaps a new thread on "slamfire" and reloading if this gets into more than I bargained for, as I do not want to jack the thread, but obviously this is important info.

Thank you!!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    They say that due to the floating firing pin of an AR the possibility of a slamfire exists when chambering a round loaded with a standard primer- basically magnum primers are "harder". I've gotten by with using the standard primers, but I don't use them anymore-why chance it.

Just one of the references I saw, but this one refers to the type of primer. I have also heard that incorrect seating of the primer in the casing will cause this???

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    You'll want to examine your reloads for "high" primers when you start out, once you get used to the feel and operation, you won't have a problem. Or should I say, shouldn't have a problem. I've seen too many shooters who reload that can't for whatever reason get this part down. One of the great things about the Dillon 550b is the primer seating, you just crank the handle and it automatically controls the seating depth, so there's really no margin you have to fret over like on a hand primer or some of the single stage presses.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    If you're concerned about slamfires in a M1 type battle rifle, rock out the CCI 34 or 41 Mil-Spec primers.

Just realize that they act like a magnum primer, so reduce you're charges accordingly.

For what it's worth, one of the mods said if we get some good active reloading type threads going, they'll consider a reloading subforum. There's a good amount of knowledge on this forum is seems, so if people have questions, ask away.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Yes, "high" or "proud" primer seating is the main culprit with slamfires. The firing pin of the rifle hits the primer hard enough to fire it before the bolt has closed. I've seen pictures of a M14 blown in half by a slamfire. I run my finger over the primer to make sure there's the small (.002?) inset of the primer into the cup. I use a hand primer mostly for that very reason. I've had a few .45's have a proud primer from my RCBS Progressive, so I'm careful. Besides, with a hand primer, I can sit and watch TV while I prime cases. :) The other main causes of slamfires are headspacing, and cartridge condition, but that's another sub-forum.

I've read about the MilSpec primers from CCI, but I hate messing with my recipe. it works so well...;) I do really need to look more into using those, though.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am hoping to set up my bench in the next couple of weeks...but it may be a few months before I am operational. I am sure I will have lots of questions moving forward.

That being said, I am going to start another "slamfire" post under the accy & ammo sub-forum. I would like to know more about the slamfire issue.

Thanks!

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I got my first loader when I was 12, it was made by Lee. It was a single unit and came with one powder measure. You had to use a hammer to pound the casing in and out the die for resizing. I haven't seen one of these in years and I cant remember what they were called only that they were made by Lee. I would like to get a few of these in my bug out calibers, it seems like they might come in handy some day when SHTF just because they are very small and portable enough to go in a bug out bag. With one of these you could if need be reload 5 or 6 rounds here and there as you shot them in taking game. If anyone knows of where to find one of these I would like to know...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I keep a small piece of glass on my bench for this reason. If the round will sit on the glass and not wobble around, the primer is cool.

The top of my bench is slick laminate for that reason you can spot a high primer when I work the press handle from the vibration.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I use a piece of 1/2" Corian I set my loading blocks on betwwen my scale and press for that purpose as well, I also leveled a piece big enough for my scale to sit on, shimmed it with washers before I screwed it down to ensure my scale is sitting perfectly level. You'd be suprised how many "level" workbenches aren't.

Top Bottom