• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    As others said, shoot some soon. It's possible for a minimum load to not cycle a gun or for a max listed load to have pressure issues in your gun. Pays to take it slow, then mass produce what works.

Until I can get out (hopefully soon) I think I'll just concentrate on building up my component inventory which is pretty weak at this point and play around getting my reloading area situated the way I want it. maybe add some addition shelf space and storage areas which I'm lacking. I think I'm pretty well set with equipment at this point. ;)

On a positive note, the town just passed a new ordinance and opened up the police range giving all full-time town employees full access to it 24/7. Signed the release form and I'm all set. Now if the weather would just cooperate.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My loading room is all BLUE for rifle/pistol and a RED section for shotgun. I use blue Maxwell House coffee cans for the first and red Folgers for the second. Color coding at it's best!

There ya go!! I think that's why I went hog-wild. All those bright colors got me into the holiday spirit again and I immediately went into shopping mode!

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Haven't seen discussion on this but when I lube my cases I stand up about about 200 cases on a metal five gallon paint can lid. Spray them with case lube all at one time, then resize them. Works good for me and saves a lot of time.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, Cemetary Man,
    I see your in Bremen. I lived in Nappanee for four years when my kids were little. My son just got a job as an EMT with Your local ambulance service. Hope you never have to meet! He thinks it's cool to be back 'home'.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Until I can get out (hopefully soon) I think I'll just concentrate on building up my component inventory which is pretty weak at this point and play around getting my reloading area situated the way I want it. maybe add some addition shelf space and storage areas which I'm lacking. I think I'm pretty well set with equipment at this point. ;)

On a positive note, the town just passed a new ordinance and opened up the police range giving all full-time town employees full access to it 24/7. Signed the release form and I'm all set. Now if the weather would just cooperate.

I belong to two indoor ranges in Elkhart. If you are interested in going sometime let me know. I will help you log the results for your handloads.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Hey, Cemetary Man,
    I see your in Bremen. I lived in Nappanee for four years when my kids were little. My son just got a job as an EMT with Your local ambulance service. Hope you never have to meet! He thinks it's cool to be back 'home'.

Maybe we'll meet sometime and hopefully I won't be on my back! One thing with his job everyone's looking up to him. ;)

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Id caution on the side of error stating at a minimum load in the manual if loading for a semi auto gun. When i was little i knew a guy that stuck a bullet in his barrel, then fired the next. And well its not pretty. I know that my first round i reloaded and shot i pulled the bolt out of my gun and made sure it went down range. Not that i missed the target, just confirmation. Over loading is just as dangerours as under loading. Both can be destructive. Call me cautious, but i try to keep my name out of the newspapers.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    here is the data for my 9mm loads;

Bullet - Hornady 115 gr FMJ
    Powder - Tightgroup , 4.5 gr
    Brass - Starline (new)
    OAL - 29.3

Hodgdon had a range of 4.5 - 4.8 gr. Should I start more to the middle of the powder range? I have a good bullet puller if you think I should redo them.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    here is the data for my 9mm loads;

Bullet - Hornady 115 gr FMJ
    Powder - Tightgroup , 4.5 gr
    Brass - Starline (new)
    OAL - 29.3

Hodgdon had a range of 4.5 - 4.8 gr. Should I start more to the middle of the powder range? I have a good bullet puller if you think I should redo them.

If you are at the minimum starting load you don't have to worry much about dangers of sticking a bullet in the barrel. It might not cycle very well in the gun but I wouldn't consider it dangerous.

I am a little concerned about the number you posted for the OAL though. I am assuming that it is a typo.

Saami specs are as follows for 9MM OAL: Min = 1.00 / Max = 1.169.

I was serious about meeting you at Midwest gun in Elkhart or Elkhart Rifle and Pistol Club to help you record the data for your test rounds. I always like to have somebody with me to record the information on reloading sheets and help keep an eye on how the brass ejects.

I'm a VIP member at midwest so you get in free and ERPC is only $5 for guest, also my treat. Send me a PM and I will give you my information.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I got the fever...if I would have know it was this enjoyable, I would not have let my equipment just set. Was waiting for a good time to finally start. My wife came down sick and has had no income for over 4 months now. Now, its either reload or use my pistols as paper weights. That last part ain't gonna happen :):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Be careful about where you buy your components, i.e. bullets, powder, primer, and brass. Try to buy in quantity and from a good supplier like Wideners, or similar. Otherwise, you might be spending close to the same price to per round as factory. :twocents:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I am a little concerned about the number you posted for the OAL though. I am assuming that it is a typo.

Saami specs are as follows for 9MM OAL: Min = 1.00 / Max = 1.169.

Metric equiv., 27.81 min - 29.69 max

American Eagle and blazer brass are 2 of my favorites and seem to work flawlessly in my semi autos so I based my oal on them.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    One common symptom is that you see loaded ammunition as potential/future reload, without much care for how/when/where it gets shot ;)

Purple as necessary

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Haven't seen discussion on this but when I lube my cases I stand up about about 200 cases on a metal five gallon paint can lid. Spray them with case lube all at one time, then resize them. Works good for me and saves a lot of time.

Put them in a plastic bag, spray in some lube, seal the bag, work them around, then empty the bag and let them dry. Fast and easy.

To the OP, at first reloading was just a cheaper way to shoot. Now it's as enjoyable as shooting for me, if not a little more.

As far as cost goes, my cost per round of precision rifle ammo is 1/4 to 1/3 of the same commercial ammo. Biggest cost is the high end bullets.

I am currently reloading 300BLK cast and cast pistol rounds at about a nickel a round.

The more you do it the more you start figuring out where and how to save even more money. I cast my own and recycle the lead, look for great deals on primers and powder then max out the order to save on shipping. Brass is pretty much free either because I get so much range pickup or it gets used so many times that the amortized cost is less than a penny a shot.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have a nice new detached 2+ car garage, insulated with heat and AC. We just bought this place in November and still putting it all together, but that will be my workshop for casting and loading in one end and working on my cars in the other. I have plenty of bench space, just need to make the time to unpack and organize. Just got my Dillon SDB back from overhaul (I love their lifetime no BS warranty!). I stocked up on primers and powder before the big panic so I just need to find the time. My daughters room we built is finally finished, got to get my mom moved and her house on the market. Then the housewarming party here, and a wedding to go to, and my daughter graduating HS and heading off to college... and remodeling the kitchen.

Top Bottom