Reloading for the prepper: which powders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I originally posted a similar question in the Ammunition and Reloading section but now think this would be a better place:

When it comes to reloading Preppers are probably going to stick with common calibers and will want to keep things as simple as possible (ie as few different powders as possible).

SO:

1. which powder would be the best compromise for reloading both 9mm and .45
    2. which powder would be the best compromise for both .223 and .308
    3. and which powder for 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns

Please explain your choices as well.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Clays can do pistol and shotgun economically - just watch out for overpressure, as this is sensitive to small changes in powder loads for pistols. H4895 and Varget can do either of the rifle rounds well.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I use Win 231 for 9mm, 38spl 40, 10mm, 44spl and 45. It's a great powder!

Varget for 223 and 308

Universal or clays for the shotgun.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I stock H110 for my 44s. Unique for 45 ACP and 9MM. Blue dot for the shot guns and IMR 4895 for the rifles. That is what works with my guns and that is what I stock. I don't know of any one powder that will work for every thing. You have to stock what works for your guns.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I bought some wc844 to start. Loads well in both 223 and 308 and is available cheaply through Profire. Not sure on handgun yet as I'm just starting to venture into it.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    well, trailboss can be used in a pinch for all of those calibers, there is actual publications with it, however,

I vote vargent for the rifles, clay for shotguns and titegroup or trailboss for pistol

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Unique would take care of the shotgun and pistol loads. Varget works well for the .233 and .308. Those are the 2 powders I always keep on hand just in case.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Unique would take care of the shotgun and pistol loads. Varget works well for the .233 and .308. Those are the 2 powders I always keep on hand just in case.

I store unique for prep powder, versatile and takes very little. That's a good thing for a grid down situation, but a bad thing for the ease of double charging.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Longshot for the shotguns

GN
    As already said, most pistol powders also work very well in shotguns. I use hodgdon powders almost exclusively not because they have any fantastic properties or anything. It's just what I decided on. It's much much easier comparing load data when the powder is all from the same manufacturer and Hodgdon has a lot of great powders. So most of my powders are Hodgdon powders. However, I won't limit myself to just a few. As a reloader a good variety is always a must. You just never know how you might want to change things up etc so variety is good. I buy 8lb jugs in the powders I use most commonly but only 1 or 4 lb jugs in the powders that I keep on hand just for trial or low-volume loading purposes.

Longshot is definitely a great shotgun/pistol powder to stock if you want high velocities as it attains velocities much higher than most other powders at the same pressure levels (hence the name "Longshot") ... it's what I use for shotgun hunting rounds... although it's a bit more expensive IIRC. Other good powders are Clays, HS-6, H110 (magnum pistol powder).

H4895 is just a slightly faster version of Varget so consider what firearms you'll be using and decide between one of those for your rifle rounds. Shorter barrels you may consider H4895 instead of Varget. H4895 seems to have better availability as well. After '08 election when things were going like hot-cakes Varget was out of stock and impossible to find but H4895 was still on the shelves in most places and backorders were filled rather quickly.

Other powders to consider: Trailboss is a light, fluffy powder so this is a powder you would use for cases with really high volume or for cases where you want to load low velocities but still fill the majority of the case with powder. H335 is the tried and true 5.56 powder, definitely consider it. You can get mil pull-down equivalent cheaper than new manufacture. Titegroup is a good powder too although I've never used it before. I have some on the shelf though.

IMHO, I would really think about it before you limit yourself to just a couple powders. A couple is fine for starting out loading but you should eventually work up to having a little variety on your shelf.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Thanks everyone. Especially like the caution on over charging risks with the Unique. (any suggestions on how to double check oneself to prevent that?)

Top Bottom