• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    First, I will say I am sorry if this is on here a dozen times before me, but Im not to good with the seaching.

I am wanting to start reloading. I have a shotgun shell turret press for my 20 gauge and I havent had a chance to use it yet, (I have had a lot on my plate lately), but now that I have time and the money I am wanting to start learning both. Before I start to learn though I need to get the equipment. What do I need and where is a good place to learn? Any classes coming up or anyone here near Muncie that could help? I am wanting to reload 45 ACP, 44 Special, 44 Mag, .223, 5.56, 7.62 by 54, 30-30. 30-06 and .380. I also am not going to attempt this without help so dont worry, if I buy the equipment it is simply so I can learn that equipment not to just wing it. Thanks guys

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Reloading

I would suggest you take a class and/or read several books before buying any equipment. This may save you a few dollars in the end. In a class you will get to see the equipment up close and get the hands-on experience. The instructor should go over some of the pros and cons of single stage vs progressive presses; beam scales vs electronic scales; dial calipers vs digital calipers; etc, etc.

There are several basic reloading books. Two come to mind, ABC's of Reloading and Reloading Metallic Cartridges. Both books give a lot of info and ideas toward the needed equipment. Most reloading manuals have some good info in them as well.

There is a lot of equipment made by different manufacturers. Most of the dies are interchangeably with most of the presses.

Most manufacturers offer a beginners kit with the basic info you will need minus the dies. You can then add or upgrade as time passes and your experience grows.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I got the ok to go to the class from work and the wife so I will be there. I need to get directions though, anyone know the address for a GPS, or even the shop name will work. I am outside of indy up by Muncie/Daleville area.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got the ok to go to the class from work and the wife so I will be there. I need to get directions though, anyone know the address for a GPS, or even the shop name will work. I am outside of indy up by Muncie/Daleville area.

He'll probably be along shortly, but contact him and let him know you are interested in his class. I'll add my voice to the list of folks who recommend him, he's a first-class guy and he'll get you started well with it. The Indy area is lucky to have someone like him willing to teach novices for what works out to be cost of class materials.

Top Bottom