• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone reload in their garage? I don't have any empty rooms in my house, it's only a 2 bedroom, but I have a large garage, which is connected to the house.

My goal for the garage later on is to insulate it better, and have it heated and cooled all year round, so that it stays a constant temperature.

But, until then, it's hot in the summer, and just a little chilly in the winter.

Is it a bad idea to reload in the garage, or would I be ok?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't think I would until you get that environment stabilized. I think you'll be fighting condensation and therefore, rust. I don't think the temperature extremes is good for your primers and powder either....IMHO.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've been reloading in my garage for years. Usually attached garage, so temps are relatively stable. I keep my primers in an o-ring sealed ammo can with a few silica packets. No issues to speak of.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    No issues. Keep things stored properly, but that should be no different than any other room chosen for reloading. A lot of people choose basements, which are often very damp and subject to temp changes, although my not be as drastic.

That being said, the only caveat to this would be if you are messing with loads to one extreme or the other of the powder charge scale. As long as you are not trying to max out your loads potentially causing pressure issues, there should be no problems. Just stay in the "comfort zone" of the recommended grains.

Just my limited knowledge and experience....

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I reload in my garage. No issues so far.

I store my powder and primers in my gun safe though and that's inside the house. I only take them out when necessary. My brass and bullets are in the garage all of the time.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have an attached and insulated garage, but keeping the temperature stable (especially in the hot, humid summer) is almost impossible. Hot car engines don't help any. On the plus side, it rarely gets below 50 in the winter.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I reload in my garage, have for years without a problem. I keep the primers inside the house since I use a hand primer and prime the case while watching the news. I keep an old oil cover rag handy to wipe the dies down when I'm done and haven't had a rust problem.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're worried about moisture, then just store your components inside in one of those under-bed Rubbermade totes or something.

-J-

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    We reload in a garage, but it's attached and heated & cooled along with the with rest of the house.

With it being in a garage we keep a sheet over our press and other reloading items that do not have a box to help with keeping dust and other matter out.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    I reload in my garage also, not heated or cooled. But I store all my components in the house, where it is more temp and humidty controlled. Only thing that stays in garage is the press.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you keep your components in the house until you decide it is time to reload, it does not matter where you actually reload. I spent many evenings reloading outdoors on my 2nd story deck looking over the lake. I had to use the powder scale in the house when setting the powder measure because of the breeze, but after that, no problems. Garage, basement, kitchen, office, deck, in the back of your van, it really does not matter as long as you have your equipment with you and know how to reload. It is not brain surgery.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks like you need a room addition or work shed (climate controlled). I used to load in the garage when I lived in SW Texas and Florida. I was younger, in better shape then, so the heat didn't bother me so much. I loaded pistol match ammo, mostly and kept the components in the garage. I kept the primers in a sealed ammo box. The heat and humidity didn't affect accuracy.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    I have been reloading in the garage for a year now and it is not insulated, but it is attached. It does stay a little more comfortable but not much then outside. Its gets pretty hot in the summer. I keep the press oiled and all of my parts in a plastic air tight tube with reusable sillicate packs. The powder and primer though are stored in a 2 inch thick wooden box that the lid does not fasten too. This has kept them noticably cooler and more comfortable along with not creating a hazard with an ammo can or other metal container. Check out alliants storage suggestions. Alliant Powder - Storage & Handling insulated, not airtight and weak seems. I do drop a reusable silicate pack in there and it has not said it needs reset in the oven yet this year. Seems there is not much air movement around the edges of the box.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I reload in my garage, but I store powder and primers inside. I store bullets inside during winter too, because they start to condensate when you handle them.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I reload in an insulated attached garage. Components stay in the house until I need them. I wipe down parts of the press that I think will rust and it seems to work well so far.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I've reloaded in attached and unattached garages for over 25 years and they were not climate controlled, no problems here. Modern powder and primers aren't as sensitive to moisture as the old black powder was. I have some left over 22-250 in a footlocker I loaded about 20 years ago for a prairie dog shoot in South Dakota. Ran it across the chronograph two weeks ago and it is still as fast and as consistent as it was when it was loaded according to my load data from back then.

Top Bottom