• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In my opinion the RCBS single stage kit with the 505 scale and the powder drop are well worth it. I would buy a hand priming tool also.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    I started reloading about 7 months ago and bought the Lee Anniversary kit off of Midway USA for $100. I love my kit! Someday I might upgrade to a progressive, but it is a great kit for not a lot of money and easy to learn on.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I paid $289 for everything listed.

I ordered everything from Midway
    1. Frankford arsenal impact bullet puller: PN 215517
    2. Frankford aresnal flip top ammo boxes: PN 589482
    3. Frankford arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler: PN 414369
    4. Lee deluxe carbide 4 die set: PN 885350
    5. Lee breach lock quick change bushings (2 sets): PN 971565
    6. Lee challenger breech lock single stage press kit: PN 121744
    7. Lyman 49th edition reloading manual: PN 217655

You'll also need a pair of calipers, they can be had for around $30 If you have any more questions, I found some useful videos on your tube. Some of the instructions where not very good to say the least.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    In my opinion the RCBS single stage kit with the 505 scale and the powder drop are well worth it. I would buy a hand priming tool also.

:+1: I bought my RCBS equipment over 25 years ago and still use them at least once a week. There are cheaper way to go but not too many better. Buy RCBS and you will never have to replace it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lee Classic Turret Press kit, from Factory Sales or on INGO or from eBay (if you're lucky). High quality, long lasting, low price, can handle everything (except .50 BMG). And whey you get hooked (you will), you are already upgraded to one of the best setups.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Lee Classic Turret Press kit, from Factory Sales or on INGO or from eBay (if you're lucky). High quality, long lasting, low price, can handle everything (except .50 BMG). And whey you get hooked (you will), you are already upgraded to one of the best setups.

I will be picking this up really soon. Bradis has it for $80 and I don't think I can pass it up.

Colt.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If someone was looking to start learning to reload, are the complete kits worth the money?

I am an owner of a RCBS single stage loader. It is an ok piece of equipment but only if u are not doing very man loads at a time. It's well worth your money to buy the automatic feeds of a more expensive loader. It takes waaaaayyyy to much time doing one stage then stage ow then finishing with stage three. Where the multi functional reloaders after the first 4 pulls pumps out a clean usable round everytime. Grant the single stage is $200 and re delux loaders are like $1200 but well worth it unless you plan on spending all day doing one stage. The more expensive loaders can do like 50+ in 10 minutes where the single stage you would be wondering what football team was playin next Sunday.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    All of the above are good places to start
    I started with a rock chucker supreme kit when I was 19. I'm 44 now and I still use it once in awhile. I would also pick up a case gauge.It's a great way to check you ammo quickly

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I know i'll probably catch h@#$ for this but.....

Buy the rockchucker master kit and run as fast as you can away from lee anything!!!

I know I know... you lee guys don't agree but this is my veiw!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know i'll probably catch h@#$ for this but.....

Buy the rockchucker master kit and run as fast as you can away from lee anything!!!

I know I know... you lee guys don't agree but this is my veiw!

Hey, I'm a Lee guy and I wouldn't neccesarily disagree. While I started on a Rockchucker and now primarily use a Lee classic turret, I still use and prefer many RCBS accesories.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :): reloading. good idea u'll be able to shoot more when u reload. Lee is ok and they are good folks at Lee, BUT you will probably upgrade to a RCBS in the future anyway, so just get one now. i started with a rockchucker in the early 70's and its still goin strong. Maybe not a complete set, tumbler,press,carbide dies your choice of caliber, pocket cleaning tool large and small primers,powder measure, scale, and bullet puller hammer for mistakes should get u started.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :): reloading. good idea u'll be able to shoot more when u reload. Lee is ok and they are good folks at Lee, BUT you will probably upgrade to a RCBS in the future anyway, so just get one now. .

Maybe true if you are comparing single stages... But since the Lee turret was mentioned in this thread a few times, I don't know about that statement. I currently don't feel I downgraded going from the RC to my current Lee Classic turret. Actually, due to my needs of loading many different calibers and also loading for more than (1) shooter, I felt the move was a must. It wasn't so much the savings in time loading, but rather the savings in time and convienance in going from one caliber to another...

Again, most I know that have a turret for straight walled pistol cases would move a different direction other than a single stage regardless of brand if they truely wanted to "upgrade".

It all comes down to the OP's needs and circumstances... He simply hasn't given enough info such as how many calibers he intends to load, how much time he wants to spend loading, and how many rounds he ultimately wants to load in a given time, ect...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom