• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Cleaning out my garage I came across a box of nickel plated range brass. Most of it in .40 S&W. Is it reloadable? Haven't had much experience with it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And since the OPs question has been answered, I dont feel bad hijacking the thread.

So why plate it? Any benefits or strictly aesthetics?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yep, totally reloadable, just be cautious as I scratched up my carbide sizing die processing a bunch (>1000) of nickel plated 40 S&W and 357 SIG brass; the nickel is much harder than brass.

Some claim that the nickel plating is easier to see in low light (for chamber checks), it resists corrosion better than raw brass as Patriot mentioned, and it is somewhat slicker than brass, which may aid in feeding.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yep, totally reloadable, just be cautious as I scratched up my carbide sizing die processing a bunch (>1000) of nickel plated 40 S&W and 357 SIG brass; the nickel is much harder than brass.

Some claim that the nickel plating is easier to see in low light (for chamber checks), it resists corrosion better than raw brass as Patriot mentioned, and it is somewhat slicker than brass, which may aid in feeding.

Nickel alloyed stuff can be terrible to work with, without a doubt, have to deal with it work sometimes. Got into that with a guy trying sell some 357mag brass. He did not seem to think nickel plated brass would do that and I disagreed. He seemed to think RCBS didn't know what they were talking about.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've reloaded 1000s of nickel plated cases and have never seen a scratched carbide sizer die. I find it hard to believe that a piece of nickel could scratch a piece of carbide. I have seen carbide dies that have been cracked that would cause a scratch. The crack is usually caused by the die having hard contact with the shell holder.

Top Bottom