Reloading +P pistol loads - Warning signs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    I am wanting to reload 45 Colt with "Ruger Only" type +P loads. I have been very careful reloading pistol calibers before and have been below the maximum levels in them. Never had any problems. I have been away from it for awhile when prices/availability got weird.
    I'm planning on using H110, Hornady XTP Bullets 250 Grain JHP, Hornady brass, Winchester primers.
    My 1892 lever is okay with the +P loads.

Could someone give me a link or a review of signs in the brass, etc. to look for that indicate when I'm pushing the limit. Aside from working up to R/L manual levels, any other advice?

I have read many like 18.5 gr of the H110 for a +P load with this bullet.

TIA

file pic, not mine

Puma45LC.jpg

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What is your source for that load? The reason I ask is because H110 is not a powder that should be used below its pressure range, and your load looks to be far below the recommendation from Hodgdon... oh, and use magnum primers with H110.

250 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .452" COL=1.600" start=25.7gr 1398fps 27,000 CUP max=26.5gr 1455fps 29,800 CUP

Powders like 2400 (a little faster) and H4227 (a little slower) are more tolerant to pressure variance. That and not stocking magnum primers is why I use 2400. You won't get quite as much velocity out of 2400, but the 250gr XTP doesn't need velocity, and out of a rifle it may be too much of a good thing. However, I have read more than one report that it's a good deer bullet at 1500-1600fps out of a muzzleloader.

I can't comment on Winchesters position, but my position is that modern 92 actions will be OK with 25k and maybe 30kpsi data. DO NOT try to use .45 colt loads data intended for 5-shot revolvers like Freedom Arms or Linebaughs.

Pressure signs, especially extraction, might be harder to judge in a lever gun than a revolver.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The Winchester Large Pistol primer is a little hotter than most other large pistol primers and in most cases is suitable for use with the slower pistol powders like H110, W296 and Lil Gun.

Hornady and Nosler do not even show H110 or W296 until you get to the 300gr bullets. As Kludge said you do not want to start lower than the recommended charges with H110 or W296 because it can be just as dangerous as too much due to some reports of detonation with low charge weights.

I personally have switched to Lil Gun and the 240gr XTP Mag for my 45 Colt loads for my Encore and have been very happy with it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Warning signs, are the same, flattening, of the primers, black ring around the primers, hard extraction..... My 3 Manuals, all Speer, #10,11, & 12, all show 18.5 - 20.0 grains, of H110..... Do your own research, and talk to a lot of people.... Aszerigan, Profire Arms, has reloading classes, and I would recommend, him as the source ..... I have been reloading for over, 30 years, and I still learn ..... GOOD LUCK .....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't speak for the Winchester but my Henry has no problems with 300 grain Lee RFGCs on top of 21 grains of lil gun. Regular hunting load for my Marlin 44 is 265 grain RDGC on 21.5 grains of lil gun.:)

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    45 Colt +P loads

Loaded up some 45 Colt:
    250gr Hornady XTP
    Hornady Brass
    WLP primer
    24.0gr H110
    med. heavy crimp

Headed to the range and fired about fifteen rounds with this recipe. Was going more to try out the gun and see if I liked the scope on it.

The primers appeared no different than those shot with factory rounds that had been also fired. I'm going to bump up the H110 and see how things look then.

[Also glad I'm using a lace on recoil pad. The metal buttplate on the Puma M92 would be kind of tough to handle without it. :): Accuracy wasn't too bad considering it hadn't been loctited down and I was zeroing it. I'm going to up the power with a different scope.]

Top Bottom