• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have a couple of questions and am looking for some opinions...

I currently use a Rock Chucker Supreme. When de-priming/re-sizing brass, the press throws a good percentage (maybe 25%) of the spent primers on the floor of my reloading room. I've used a Lee Classic Cast and a Lee Turret in the past and had the same problem. It's not that big of a deal... I just sweep them up, but my question is: Do all presses litter spent primers on the floor?

I'd also like opinions on hand priming tools. I've only ever used the RCBS Hand Priming Tool (not the universal one)... In your opinion, is there a better hand priming tool out there, or is this it?

:ingo:

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    My rockchucker is the same way...

My Dillon 650 even bounces one out of the collection cup now and then...primers on the floor just part of handloading I guess....LOL

I'm like you, the RCBS hand primer is the only one I've ever used, bought it years ago and its always worked fine so I saw no need to get something different

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Later today Ill try to take picures of the mod I've come up with for the RCBS.
    Havent quite figured out what to do with the Lee yet.
    For the hand priming tool, we have 2 of the RCBS and 2 of the Lee, both work as well as the other, the RCBS the tool is "worked" with your thumb(hold tool with fingers and the lever is by your thumb). the Lee is oposit

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yes, primers do have a penchant for jumping on the floor!
    I just put my left hand by the press when decapping to block jumping primers back into the tray, which eliminates most of the primers on the floor.

For priming, I have used the RCBS Automatic priming tool for decades, and love it. It does, however, require loading primers into tubes, which is no big deal.

There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    no

i had the same issue with my lee. the forster coax has a tube dirrectly below the primer. when its deprimed the primer ALWAYS goes down the tube. then basically they have drilled a hole in the top of a jar and attached the top to the tube. you screw on the jar and empty it when its full.

its a very simple and effective way of doing it. have now missed a primer in the thousands of rounds ive done on that press

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I don't have that many on the floor with my RC Supreme, it's when it's time to empty the primer collection thing that I have troubles! It never fails that something will catch or pinch or snag and it'll open up one of the sides of the collection pans and then dump them all over.

I use the RCBS universal hand priming tool and I think it's great. It works, I can feel each primer seat and it's pretty quick and easy to change from small to large primers.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Another vote for the RCBS hand primer. I have the same primer issue as well.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I hope you remember to post the pics. I got a Rochchucker for Christmas and am getting ready to set it up. Any and all hints are welcome.

Later today Ill try to take picures of the mod I've come up with for the RCBS.
    Havent quite figured out what to do with the Lee yet.
    For the hand priming tool, we have 2 of the RCBS and 2 of the Lee, both work as well as the other, the RCBS the tool is "worked" with your thumb(hold tool with fingers and the lever is by your thumb). the Lee is oposit

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'm still a newbie but my Hornady LnL has a brass tube beneath the decapping die with a hole that leads to a rubber tube which I have sitting in a trashcan. I can't see any possible way for primers to get to the floor. I've probably decapped 100 rounds so far with no old primers anywhere except the trash can.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I'm still a newbie but my Hornady LnL has a brass tube beneath the decapping die with a hole that leads to a rubber tube which I have sitting in a trashcan. I can't see any possible way for primers to get to the floor. I've probably decapped 100 rounds so far with no old primers anywhere except the trash can.

Most primers are made of brass which has scrap value. I hope you arent throwing them away!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can't get pics to upload sooo. I took a straw from Mc D's cut to fit in the primer slot of the ram. Took the top of a 4lb. jug of powder (from the cap down past the handle with cap still on) . Zip tied that to the ram housing. Primers fall through the staw to the base of the press and into the jug.
    When Im done or its full I unscrew the cap and empty it into a coffee can. It also works great for after you seat the bullet you can knock them into the jug and pick them out/unscrew the cap into your ammo can/coffee can.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    For long range work and primer checking pistol ammo the Lee hand primers have worked well for me.

The XL650 can be easily modified to use a tube for spent primers.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Can't get pics to upload sooo. I took a straw from Mc D's cut to fit in the primer slot of the ram. Took the top of a 4lb. jug of powder (from the cap down past the handle with cap still on) . Zip tied that to the ram housing. Primers fall through the staw to the base of the press and into the jug.
    When Im done or its full I unscrew the cap and empty it into a coffee can. It also works great for after you seat the bullet you can knock them into the jug and pick them out/unscrew the cap into your ammo can/coffee can.

Thanks, I'd love to see pics of that if you can ever get them to upload.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sheesh, spent primers on the floor? I have a Bonanza (Forster) Co-ax and a Hornady LNL and both have tubes that deliver spent primers directly into a container. Never on the floor. I'm thinking anything else must be bad design :D

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    picture.php

see if this works

Top Bottom