• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    how do you know how to set up your dies when it comes to depth on your press? I dont really know how to do this and cannot seem to find the answer in my manual?
    Here are pics of my die and press

1231753340_photobucket_55033_.jpg

1231753340_photobucket_55037_.jpg

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    According to the instructions that came with my dies, it said to put the shellholder in the press, then push the handle all the way down so the shellholder is as high as it will go. Then lower the die until it just barely contacts the shellholder. This should give you a decent starting point

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    RCBS will have instructions in detail on their website. Or give them a call and they will send you a set of insructions like come with the dies.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

^^^+1

Pay close attention to step #5. It looks like you have carbide dies=DO NOT do more than touch the shell holder with a carbide die!! This can shatter the carbide insert!!
    With steel sizer dies you can turn the die in 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn after shell holder contact, to "Over cam" the press, for super tight barrel chambers. This is almost never needed with most pistol chambers.
    The "Over cam" process is usually only used when you size bottle neck rifle brass, to push back the shoulder area of the case, for proper head space of the load.
    For your use, screw down the die until it JUST touches the shell holder, re-size a few cases, field strip your weapon, and drop them into your barrel chamber.
    The sized cases should drop into your chamber the same amount (depth) as a factory load. When they do, lock down the die lock ring set screw+leave it there..Bill.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    ^^^+1

Pay close attention to step #5. It looks like you have carbide dies=DO NOT do more than touch the shell holder with a carbide die!! This can shatter the carbide insert!!
    With steel sizer dies you can turn the die in 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn after shell holder contact, to "Over cam" the press, for super tight barrel chambers. This is almost never needed with most pistol chambers.
    The "Over cam" process is usually only used when you size bottle neck rifle brass, to push back the shoulder area of the case, for proper head space of the load.
    For your use, screw down the die until it JUST touches the shell holder, re-size a few cases, field strip your weapon, and drop them into your barrel chamber.
    The sized cases should drop into your chamber the same amount (depth) as a factory load. When they do, lock down the die lock ring set screw+leave it there..Bill.

That's some good information, as I will be beggining to reaload very soon.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    For Lee Carbide .40 cal dies, since there is no taper at the mouth of the die (like on Dillon Dies), they're better at straightening the 'glock bulge.' I over-cam mine slightly to ensure absolute full length sizing.

Exceptions to every rule. :)

Top Bottom