• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    i currently have a Lee 4Hole Turret press and a tumbler and a digital scale, and so far this has been sufficient for loading pistol calibers, but am in the near future will be loading .223, i currently have my dies but am wondering what other equipment i may nned to purchase for case prep or the reloading process,
    any and all suggestions and advise is greatly appreciated

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Less their hand primer I don't use Lee anything for anything, because I've used Lee before, but what else don't you have?

At minimum I would want inside and outside deburrers. I don't fool with flash holes unless they are in bad shape from the factory, primer pockets even less often, but it is good to have the requisite uniformer in the event it is required.

You'll want a trimmer. A hand tool like Sinclair's or a powered one like GTC.

A black marker to serve as a means of calculating headspace.

A good digital scale.

A thrower of repute. RCBS Uniflow or Lyman 55.

A piece of wood, reamed to hold cases upright, and a can of One Shot.

Some sort of priming machine. Lee's square one is the best thing Lee does.

The rest is niceties...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Your Lee dies will be fine.
    As mentioned you'll need a way to trim your cases, depending on the volume you plan on doing will determine which trimmer will work best for you. Lee makes a inexpensive one you chuck in a drill, all the way up to the Girdal.
    I'll second the RCBS Uniflow, its a great powder drop.
    I prefer to use the RCBS lube with the pad you roll the brass on, I hate one shot.
    RCBS makes a handheld de-burring tool, one end does the inside the other the outside.
    A loading block will speed things up a bit, you can charge 50 cases set your bullet on top and then seat them.
    I load my rifle on a single stage.-- I tumble my brass. De-prime and size. Anything military get the crimp removed. Tumble again. Trim. De-burr. Prime. Drop powder. Seat bullet.
    A loading block will speed things up a bit, you can charge 50 cases set your bullet on top and then seat them.

This is just a quick run down but you get the idea.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Case lube (I like One Shot) is an absolute necessity for sizing/depriming rifle cases. I would also recommend a stuck case removal kit because you will stick a few cases in the sizing die until you get the process ironed out. Too much lube is almost as bad as too little. The difference is too much just ruins the case instead of sticking it in the die AND ruining it. I haven't stuck a case since I started using One Shot and allowing it to sit for several minutes before I start sizing. You will need a case trimmer as others have mentioned.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    as far as a powder thrower goes i bought the Hornady Lock n load powder thrower and the kit to fit in on my lee press, using a lee single stage press for a whil and picked up the hornady powder thrower then decided to get the kit to add it to my turret press., i have a Lyman digital scal that runs off batteries and also plugs into the wall, i was thinking about one of the RCBS case prep stations but that will have to wait until i have a little extra money of course.
    thanks for all the suggestions, if anybody thinks of anything else just let me know please.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    i like Lyman's case prep station better than the one from RCBS. The Hornady powder measure is made under license from RCBS so they are close to the same.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    i like Lyman's case prep station better than the one from RCBS. The Hornady powder measure is made under license from RCBS so they are close to the same.
    i like the hornady powder thrower, it is consistent. But wish they would have used better quality plastic on the tube, I've read that if you leave powder in it, it will distort the tube, so you just gotta make sure you empty it out after you are done, and in the past I would leave my Lee powder hopper full of powder , but a small price to pay for reliability I guess

Top Bottom