Reloading shotgun question (complete Noob)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I bought a FN SLP and more recently a Versamax. I am hoping to shoot 3 gun next season. I've never ran a shotgun when reloading with speed was important. Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been watching YouTube videos as my only "formal training" :facepalm: and trying the whole monkey see monkey do approach.

I'm practicing quad loading and running into difficulty with reloading from slide lock. The FN doesn't have the shell release button like the Versamax and thats where the confusion starts. I'm okay reloading when there is already a round in the chamber. It seems the no brainer would be to avoid slide lock and reload throughout instead of just shooting till I'm empty. However, I know that counting rounds while shooting with speed is difficult. Slide lock will happen so I want to train/prepare for it. Any suggestions? Do people running a shotgun reload though out a stage or wait until empty? I realize that these are very basic questions and perhaps I should be more knowledgeable before I try to compete. If that is the case please point me in the right direction. I'm willing to learn.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    It seems the no brainer would be to avoid slide lock and reload throughout instead of just shooting till I'm empty.
    This is definitely the ideal thing, but it's not easy. I'm relatively new myself, but the ideas I've taken away from watching much better shooters than me is to plan your reloads (for all your guns) while you're walking through the stage before shooting. Most guys will do several walkthroughs and try and plan as much as possible ahead of time.

For a semiauto shotgun, I would highly recommend getting one of these mounted on your gun - MatchSaverz Shotshell Holder | Nordic Components Retail When you run empty, you can use your offhand to slide a shell into the chamber and charge the gun quickly. I don't shoot a SLP so I can't speak as to how best to charge it, but I'm sure somebody can help you with that.

As far as competing, I would say just jump in and try it. Come to a match first if you like to get a feel for the way it works and how things are done by different shooters, and ask plenty of questions. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer group of people to shoot with. Don't get too wrapped up in skill levels - just come out, be safe, and have some fun!

Top Bottom