sorry, meant to specify .308

Last edited:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I have one, and it is a great rifle. I have changed the stock, and a few other things, but for the price it's hard to beat. I run a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP scope, and couldn't be happier with it. The factory stock is ok, but I would be looking to replace it if you so desire.
    picture.php

picture.php

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have one, and it is a great rifle. I have changed the stock, and a few other things, but for the price it's hard to beat. I run a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP scope, and couldn't be happier with it. The factory stock is ok, but I would be looking to replace it if you so desire.
    picture.php

picture.php

it's like looking in a mirror:D

IMG_5337.jpg

I love my sps, it's accurate with a great trigger.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just bought one a couple weeks ago. Haven't had the time to shoot it.

Bought the scope a year or two before the gun.:facepalm:
    Plans are being made to swap in a 4.5-14 Mark 4 in place of the 6.5-20 VX-III LR. Also a B&C Medalist stock...

Edited: Bought it at Whittaker Guns in Kentucky. They had (maybe still) a sale on the 85566 version for $539. 85566 is supposed to come with the plain SPS stock, but mine had the Hogue on it. The regular version 84207 with the Hogue is $560 or $570.

sps-tactical-020.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Nice rifles but I like the 26" barrels better.

they're not any better than even an 18";)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I]YouTube - 18" Barrel to 1000 yards[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwXOUxCiGE]YouTube - GAP Gladius[/ame]

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    i have the sps-v om .308 with a falcon menace 4-14 FFP on top. Its got a great factory trigger, but a crappy stock on it. Although even with the factory stock its still a shooter. Im planning on putting a B&C or McMillan stock along with either a badger or surgeon bottom metal. Might cut back the barrel to 20" and thread it as well while I'm at it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Why is that? I thought you would get more range out of the 26.
    Because the powder in a .308 is mostly burned in the first 18", so you get very little velocity gain from a longer barrel. It is wasted weight IMHO.

As for the TAC, I have one, and I regret it deeply. Why? At the time that I bought my TAC I paid $550 plus transfer for just the gun. At that same time, Dick's Sporting Goods was selling the Varmint (same gun with longer barrel and different stock) for $450 with a scope (even if it is a cheap scope it could still be used on a .22 or something). I was threading the barrel anyways, so I wish I would've just bought the cheaper gun, cut the barrel off, threaded it, then used the cutoff to make a perfectly matching thread protector. I changed the stock anyways so the stock difference doesn't matter at all.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I picked up one of the 700 ADL in .308 (SPS-V in a cheap stock) at Dick's last weekend. For $489 + tax with a $40 mail in rebate its is going to make a great donor rifle. If it shoots anything close to my 700 VLS I'll be happy.

The scope that came with it though has some of the worst eye relief I have ever encountered. It is around 2", not sure if I got a bad one but if you were to shoot the rifle with that glass on it you would almost certainly get scoped.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Is that the 20" Barrel? I went to Whittakers for the first time a couple weeks ago...if they make it...they should have it.
    Varmint is 26" I think he must be talking about getting the same deal that I wish I had done instead of getting the Tac (except it looks like the price went up a little).

spsvarmint308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    starke co.
    i own a varmint model and i love it .... have had it glass bedded and trigger turned down. ran alot of hornady 168 match handloads through it. want to see what some 168 smk will do as soon as it gets a little warmer.

Top Bottom