• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey all, I'm back after my winter hibernation. Took the plunge...... and had some work done to my 700 over the winter. This budget build got out of hand, so I'm looking for some external validation. :):

What do you think?

Blue printed action. Bolt completely worked over. Lilja (supposed to be 3 groove) 24" Stainless barrel. Timney trigger set at 2 lbs. Vortex SFP Viper PST. B&C Stock. Inletted for huge @ss barrel. Its definitely nose heavy.

So before you say it, yes I could have went completely custom but where's the fun in that! :rockwoot:

-JD-

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I stuck with the .308 since I have so much invested in it. I tossed around the 6.5 creed and the .243.

I just got it home today and now I wait for brass to show up so I can break it in and work up a load. I have a feeling my old load is going to work fine.

-JD-

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I stuck with the .308 since I have so much invested in it. I tossed around the 6.5 creed and the .243.

I just got it home today and now I wait for brass to show up so I can break it in and work up a load. I have a feeling my old load is going to work fine.

-JD-

Hard to be the .308 for its inherit accuracy, plentiful bullet selection/weights ect. I have one that never ceases to amaze me every time I shoot it....and I shoot it a min of once a week.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hard to be the .308 for its inherit accuracy, plentiful bullet selection/weights ect. I have one that never ceases to amaze me every time I shoot it....and I shoot it a min of once a week.

Awesome. I understand the reasons for sticking with .308. Looks like a great gun, I'm sure it will shoot well.
    If you do another build, I'd love to hear personal experience/comparison with a 7mm cartridge. All the armchair gurus say that the 7mm (or even 6.5) have better stats (can't argue there...), but a side by side *hands on* comparison would be awesome.

Or anyone that want to chime in that has trigger time in these calibers? Just curious

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Or anyone that want to chime in that has trigger time in these calibers? Just curious

I've sent more than my share of 6.5mm, 7mm, and 7.62mm projectiles downrange, as well as several other calbers beyond those, launched by a variety of headstamps. Every one has ratified the reality that physics isn't subject to influence by wives tales or guru notions or fashion or bone headed DoD choices. BC and velocity are the 'inherit' constants.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's a beautiful rifle. What a great job! I have a weakness for 700's A custom build is on the bucket list. We need a serious range report!

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard the 6.5 Creedmore and the .260 are great cheater rounds. But if you gotta cheat where's the fun in that? When I say cheater, they ignore the wind for the most part and have great bullet characteristics.

if I'm lucky, I'll get a range report on Sunday.

There is a huge difference in weight..... I guess something I didn't really anticipate.

-JD-

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've heard the 6.5 Creedmore and the .260 are great cheater rounds. But if you gotta cheat where's the fun in that? When I say cheater, they ignore the wind for the most part and have great bullet characteristics.

if I'm lucky, I'll get a range report on Sunday.

There is a huge difference in weight..... I guess something I didn't really anticipate.

-JD-

They dont ignore the wind what so ever (nothing does). The wind has a smaller effect, but you still better know how to read it.

The rifle looks great sir. Ill look forward to the range report.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom