• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Holy crap! They almost look too perfect. Thats incredible. Wonder what kind of setup you need to catpure those. Microscope of some sort I'd have to imagine.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That guy is tempting the theory that no 2 snow flakes are the same. :D

I always wondered why anybody really needs to say that. For one, who knows, or could possibly prove it? And for another, would it diminish in any way the ethereal beauty of snowflakes if somebody is able to prove that there are lots of snowflakes that are exactly alike?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I always wondered why anybody really needs to say that. For one, who knows, or could possibly prove it? And for another, would it diminish in any way the ethereal beauty of snowflakes if somebody is able to prove that there are lots of snowflakes that are exactly alike?

Well, nothing is exactly the same as anything else if you have a precise enough instrument. Take two "identical" snowflakes and run them through a gas chromatograph (if it could measure such a small volume). You'd see plenty of variations in how they are composed from various things they picked up while forming.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Well, nothing is exactly the same as anything else if you have a precise enough instrument. Take two "identical" snowflakes and run them through a gas chromatograph (if it could measure such a small volume). You'd see plenty of variations in how they are composed from various things they picked up while forming.

If you took 2 million snowflakes and analyzed them with a GC, and found them all different from each other, that still wouldn't prove that "No two are alike".

But no matter what the real answer is to that question, I still wonder why it's important enough to be repeated so many times by so many people.

This reminds me of a time when I was in 4th grade and my teacher was trying to explain what an infinite number was. Her example was the number of grains of sand on a beach. I raised my hand and said "but if you were able to define the boundary of the beach, it's width, length, and depth, and took the time to dig out and count each grain of sand, wouldn't you end up with a definite number?" I still remember the look on her face.

Top Bottom