• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    It's good to see so many people taking interest in survival. I remember the hurricane that blew through here and the ice storm a few years ago. I'm a Rev-War and 1812 re-enactor so I'm used to "surviving" as such at rendezvous. During the storms we lost power around here so my wife went to cooking on the open fire. People on my street were walking around like zombies wondering how we had hot coffee and food! It's good to have the new gear but remember the old ways too. I would suggest reading and studying as much as you can about life when this country was first forming. BH:patriot:

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I suppose I could expound on that just a bit. Can you hammer out a knife blade out of some scrap or a file if you had too or make a fishin' pole out of what you can find, set wire traps and such? I'm trying to teach others in my family rather than them counting on someone else to do it for them. If any of you can or haven't come and see some of the primitive camps at places such as Mississinewa 1812 in Marion, Feast of the Hunter's Moon, in W. Lafayette, or Lore of the Loughery in Friendship...Lots of good learning there...BH

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Burr Head,

Good points. I agree 100%. I take my family to settler days, and pioneer villages as much as possible to let them see the old ways, and ask the wool spinner or blacksmith questions. I can do about anything regarding primitive living and bushcraft survival and I teach my kids that stuff. But even then, there is a difference between doing it like a pre 1700 Sioux vs a 1700 frontiersman in Virginia. A big difference. I'll take iron over bone any day!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Burr Head,
    I agree, but find the best examples to mimic are either from our country in the mid-to-late 1800's, or third world primitive cultures of today. The best marriage seems to be modern materials available today, paired with old school skills. My work bench tools and the left over wire, nails, screws, fastners, clamps, vices would look like a treasure chest to a primitive culture or our forefathers 150 years ago.

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Point well taken, DanO...I agree and also use modern equipment too when I make knives, powder horns, and other goodies. The old folks would have used them if they had them but I guess what I'm trying to convey is the spirit they had to figure things out and use more simple methods when the more modern wasn't available. I figure a good groundwork of education about the old ways will help our youngsters today incorporate them with the skills and items available today. BH

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Got it. I would agree. I am amazed at the grown men I know who don't seem to know how to do anything for themselves. But my dad's generation would probably say the same of me.

Specialization is for insects.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Agreed thoroughly. The old ways are the ways of the future if history does indeed repeat itself. I think I would get by and perhaps earn a living at the same time, but who knows. For reference, brain tanning and salt curing are invaluable skills to posses. Brain tanning Brain Tanning Furs, Pelts, and Roadkills
    Salt curing Curing Meat

Look further through google or PM me for better instructions via PDF, but these are essential skills that I am learning as we speak:)

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I like all the new gear there is for survival. I am also trying to learn more bushcraft skills so I do not need as much gear. Skills do not weigh anything and are always with you.

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    You cant go wrong learning these old skills. Spent the better part of the last 6 years learning them. Gives you a good feeling the first time you start a fire when its wet outside, no dry tinder or wood to be had!

Top Bottom