• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny coincidence, I was talking to my daughter a few weeks back about finally retiring my flip phone and getting an Iphone. My daughter recommended that I try Best Buy, since she'd gotten a pretty good deal there on a new phone, and she said they could set up a new data plan for me on my Verizon account as part of the deal.

I got online and was reading Yelp reviews of my local Best Buy and several of them read like BBI's post. I didn't have high hopes, but I went in to talk to someone. Long story short, the girl at the phone desk listened to what I told her I was thinking about, then she asked some questions, gave me options, and helped me to pick out my phone and my data plan. She even tried to save data from my old flip phone to my new phone but was unsuccessful. She was smart, knowledgeable, and happy to help me get fixed up with the phone and data plan that worked for me. I walked out of Best Buy with my new phone, feeling very satisfied.

I've had good luck with their cell phone desk people, other than sometimes a long wait. Several years ago one told me they don't actually work for Best Buy even though they wear the Best Buy shirts, they worked for the cell phone companies. This was the explanation of why some clerks can activate certain carriers but not others. I don't know if that's still true or not, though.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Buying online has its advantages, but just have to be sure what you are getting. A friend recently bought a Milwaukee battery online that was advertised as new, but actually refurbished. He had issues with it and was able to get ahold of the seller after several attempts. All to save $15.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've had good luck with their cell phone desk people, other than sometimes a long wait. Several years ago one told me they don't actually work for Best Buy even though they wear the Best Buy shirts, they worked for the cell phone companies. This was the explanation of why some clerks can activate certain carriers but not others. I don't know if that's still true or not, though.

Anyone with a Blue Shirt works for Best Buy. Sometimes vendors (Apple, Sprint, Verizon, Samsung, etc) pay Best Buy to employ these “experts” so they will primarily be responsible for activating/selling their products. You will find that in Mobile, Computing, and Home Theater.

To to be fair... Best Buy has come a long way in the area of customer service than what they were 10-15 years ago. It’s not a perfect system, and you have to remember you are dealing with people (many of whom are younger)... but I know they have invested heavily in training to focus more on the customer. If they hadn’t they would be where Circuit City is today.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The problem with online purchasing is that we've fooled around and let govt get it's foot in the door on taxing online purchasing. We'd be best to reel that back in immediately.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Not to change subjects but for you on-line shoppers... here is a payment method that protects your accounts by using 'virtual credit cards'... You could assign a vcc to your utility, to Amazon, etc. Set them up with a max amount/month or / transaction or set up a one-time use card. And its free. They make money by being a cc processor.

Edit... here is the site... http://www.privacy.com

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dont confuse national big box chains to buying local.
    local, to me, implies the small mom n pop stores, the independent stores whose focus is customer service.

a big box store is just an online store but with the product at hand for you to touch. heck ive seen first hand at walmart and best buy that laptop abc is $100 at the store but $80 online for the same model!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    walmart is especially bad at this on many of their items. buyer beware

Warning - Walmart’s online store is plagued by 3rd party sellers. If you look carefully at the fulfillment options, you will see “Sold by XYZ Company and fulfilled by Walmart.” That’s why a lot of the prices are different. Walmart doesn’t actually sell that item.

It’s a lot like Amazon.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not to change subjects but for you on-line shoppers... here is a payment method that protects your accounts by using 'virtual credit cards'... You could assign a vcc to your utility, to Amazon, etc. Set them up with a max amount/month or / transaction or set up a one-time use card. And its free. They make money by being a cc processor.

Edit... here is the site... http://www.privacy.com

Capital One has the virtual numbers for each site where I shop. I love it!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Surprising. When I use their app, it tells me EXACTLY where the item is. "aisle 26, section C, Slot 47". So far its been dead on except for one, but it was a discontinued item that they think got backstocked and not recorded, and are sitting high up in a box collecting dust. (Swing set brackets)

Apparently I'm special, sometimes I do get directed to the right place but seem to frequently be after things that are not listed. This instance was asile BW bay 74. :)

My other Lowe's experience was special ordering a washer & dryer for our new house. Said two weeks, no problem. Three weeks later they had no info on when it would arrive. Happily the washer and dryer went on sale everywhere about the same time so I put in an order from Best Buy. Three days later I had my washer and dryer while they were still MIA from Lowe's.

Shop local is increasingly difficult if you exclude the national chains. I've also discovered that with twin 9 month olds I would rather have things dropped at my door than spend time with them than making a trip to a store.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The problem with online purchasing is that we've fooled around and let govt get it's foot in the door on taxing online purchasing. We'd be best to reel that back in immediately.

Meh. I'm ok with all retailers playing by the same rules. It was already the law to send it in, but of course nobody did. Now the retailers have to collect just like brick and mortar.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When we moved into our house, there was always something that needed done around the house. The FiL was one of those guys that could fix anything (farmer). I can remember we went into the local hardware and the guy asked what we needed. The FiL told him and the guy just said that they didn't have anything like that. The FiL told him, yeah you do, you just don't know it. So we went to the plumbing area and he started putting stuff together until he got what he needed and handed it to the clerk and said, see, we could have just left when you said no.

Top Bottom