• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Are the most recent crop of 11-87s reliable? I have one I bought in 1994 and one in 2012 and the interior machining finish is quite different, but it runs well just the same. Any other real world first hand experience with older vs newer?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't have any personal experience with newer Remington stuff but I do have a near mint mid 80s production 1100 12ga. The machining and bluing is definitely quite refined. I frequent the LGS a lot and hear the guys that work the counter speak to the quality of today's Remington and Marlin which is owned by the same management group. I take their word cause they've been working the counter for years and see a lot of stuff over the years. The main takeaways are rougher machining and thin bluing. Also moisture causes these newer guns to rust very quickly. I hear this a lot with the new marlins.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Newer Marlins are terrible for it.

Newer Remmies, dont know.

Mine's also an older one. But even then, I remember. my B.I.L. kvetching about how the machining looked terrible next to a plain Jane 1100. He was right, of course, but that didn't stop it from running well. I could literally only have that shotgun and one pistol and I'd get by.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Speaking of Remingtons and Marlins, I crossed them off my list quite some time ago. I've had several of each from before the mid '70s that were great. I've purchased several since that were terrible and customer service was non-existent. And, I'm speaking of guns that are not necessarily low end: Remington Model 1100 20 ga (failure to feed) and a Marlin 39A (3" groups at 50 yds scoped). Both were junk and manufacturer refused to do anything. My safe is now Remington and Marlin free and I'll keep it that way.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I've had one for maybe four years, no issues, it always goes bang. I knocked the front bead off and ended up replaced it with a fiber optic. When it gets rained on, I wipe it off. It hasn't rusted yet.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My safe is now Remington and Marlin free and I'll keep it that way.

Good deal..If you come across some 20-30year old Remington's and Marlin's, just send them to me to go in my safe next to the others...Bill.

Top Bottom