• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I am looking for a new shotgun for Trap and Skeet and possibly hunting. I have heard good things about the 1100, watched You Tube videos, and read a few forums. I looked at a few (haven't shot one) and it seems to be a fit for me.

Is there any advice on what to look for regarding a new or lightly used model? That is, are there different models (sport, field, etc.)? Anything else I need to know? I haven't bought a shotgun in 20 years, so would appreciate some friendly tips.

longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    I see you live in Fishers also. If you haven't already been, stop by Indiana gun club on 113th street, about a mile or so east of Olio. Knowledgable guys with one of the best new/used shotgun inventories around. Last time I was in there, they had a handful of 1100's.

I have an 1100 that my dad bought in 1967. Gun has functioned flawlessly every time I have used it. It's taken many a rabbit, squirrel and turkey over the years.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Rem 1100's

Have shot and worked with Rem 1100's for over three decades....know trap shooters who have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds thru them over a period of years.....my advice is to look at the Rem site and see what configuration best suits your needs.....if it is going to be a "dedicated" trap gun, then you will want the trap stock, with the vent rib bl, etc.....From the law enforcement end of it, I have instructed and supervised staff firing 1100's/1187's for hundreds of thousands of rounds over a couple of decades.
    The 1100/1187 are "immortal". in that they can be maintained and kept running forever.....I have seen trap guns that had been shot weekly for 25 years and had over a million rounds thru them and they were still quite functional. Plus you can "dress them up as u want.....I have one that started out as a field gun, then put trap stock and bl on it and then made it into a tactical gun with choate p grip, ext mag tube and rifle sighted bl.....they are great guns and one of the "gold standards" in the auto loader world. You cannot go wrong with an 1100.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I see you live in Fishers also. If you haven't already been, stop by Indiana gun club on 113th street, about a mile or so east of Olio. Knowledgable guys with one of the best new/used shotgun inventories around. Last time I was in there, they had a handful of 1100's.

I have an 1100 that my dad bought in 1967. Gun has functioned flawlessly every time I have used it. It's taken many a rabbit, squirrel and turkey over the years.

+1 to the Indiana Gun Club they probably will rent you one to try out.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Ive had two or three 1100s, cant seem to hang on to one but a really nice gun. Never had any problems with any of them.

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I am looking for a new shotgun for Trap and Skeet and possibly hunting. I have heard good things about the 1100, watched You Tube videos, and read a few forums. I looked at a few (haven't shot one) and it seems to be a fit for me.

Is there any advice on what to look for regarding a new or lightly used model? That is, are there different models (sport, field, etc.)? Anything else I need to know? I haven't bought a shotgun in 20 years, so would appreciate some friendly tips.

An 1100 would be a great choice for an all around gun (unless you need 3" capacity); they're relatively cheap and easy to maintain/repair. 1100s came in a couple of varieties (field, skeet, trap, sporting, and now they have the G3 which is a gussied up 11-87). Really all you need is a field model. If you're looking to shoot trap as well I would probably look into getting some sort of pump (perhaps an 870tb/tc).

With the 1100s (and really it seems any Remington shotguns) the older you can go the better. Guns made in/before the 80s just seem to function better. If you're looking to buy a used one, the best way to check it out is to fire it and see how well it cycles low brass. Short of that, remove the forearm and check the magazine tube for wear/dents (the old 1100s had a carbon steel magazine tube that was blued, so the wear on it should give you an idea of the miles on the gun). Check the action bars for wear as well.

A good 1100 will last you a long time and they're super reliable (I'm up to ~500 1oz and 1 1/8oz shells through mine without a cleaning inbetween and it still hasn't jammed), and if anything breaks on it it's a fairly simple matter to repair it and parts are plentiful. Also look into getting a remchoked barrel if you can, it will add a lot more utility to your gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They made 1100's in 3" magnum.
    In fact, if you have a steel shot 3" BBL you can run it on your regular 2 3/4" 1100 and run 2 3/4" magnums in lead or steel, but only 3" mag in steel.
    The difference is the action sleeve- magnum guns run a heavier one.
    Remington will NOT sell you a magnum action sleeve for converting your rig to handle 3" lead. Numrichs sometimes carries the part. I waited 2 yrs before they got some more in.
    :)
    I have a regular 3" 1100 though, so put my 2 3/4" rig back to stock and sold it.

Top Bottom