• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I managed to score some 225 round bulk packs of Remington .22LR Golden bullet hollow point at WM, and took some of it to the range today. I have mostly shot CCI and Federal, but since I had quite a bit of the Remington I thought I would try shooting some. I was surprised at how dirty it was. After loading a few hundred rounds into semi-auto long gun and hand gun magazines, my fingers were black. I also had a lot more FTF and FTE than I have had with CCI and Federal. Not complaining, getting 225 rounds of .22 these days for $9.97 is great, but what I experienced today is that the ammo is dirty and does not feed well.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have about 2,000 rounds of the Golden Bullets, and yes they are some dirty little buggers. I have always had fairly decent luck with them as far as accuracy and reliability goes though.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I've not had very good experience with the Golden Bullets. They have always shot super dirty for me, with several missfires and duds per box.

Anymore I try to stick with CCI or Federal bulk for plinking around.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I've rarely had issues with them. My Marlin's eat the stuff great. Sure you get a few that have issues but my last time out I had 4 CCI's of of 100 that didn't go when I wanted.

That said yea they are dirty

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I managed to score some 225 round bulk packs of Remington .22LR Golden bullet hollow point at WM, and took some of it to the range today. I have mostly shot CCI and Federal, but since I had quite a bit of the Remington I thought I would try shooting some. I was surprised at how dirty it was. After loading a few hundred rounds into semi-auto long gun and hand gun magazines, my fingers were black. I also had a lot more FTF and FTE than I have had with CCI and Federal. Not complaining, getting 225 rounds of .22 these days for $9.97 is great, but what I experienced today is that the ammo is dirty and does not feed well.
    Wal-Mart in Avon? I ain't seen .22LR in there since before December.

:yesway: on the old-school Cylon avatar.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have used them extensively. Dirty, yep. But so were the 200 rounds of Remington .22 Target I used at the Ossian Appleseed event last weekend. I had four FTF with the .22 Target rounds. When I switched to bulk Federal for the last 50 rounds I had no FTF, but they were just as dirty.

For economical plinking ammo, I can get by with the dirty stuff. Both were as accurate as I am. Bubba did his best to train me, and I have made significant progress; but the inaccuracy was on me—not the ammo.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    My Ruger 22 Lite loves em ( along with about everything else) they are dirty, I really don't care. Shot 1000's of these, I've had 3 FTFires

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Not complaining, getting 225 rounds of .22 these days for $9.97 is great, but what I experienced today is that the ammo is dirty and does not feed well.
    Just goes to show you that .22LR performance is impossible to predict. I have a finicky Sig Mosquito that shoots MiniMags at 100% - but Federal Bulk scores about 80% at best. I found some Golden Bullets on sale and thought I'd give them a try. Hadn't heard much good about them, but figured I could use them for my .22LR revolver and save the CCIs for the semi-auto. For grins, I tried some of it in the Mosquito. To my surprise, it worked - well! I've now put probably 1000 rounds through the Mosquito and GBs have been 100%! I also tried them in my 10/22 and my Taurus 992 - 100% in both guns. So, now I've apparently found a single .22LR that will work reliably in ALL my .22LR guns, where I used to have to keep MiniMags, Federal Bulk, Blazer, and others around and remember which gun shot well with which bullet.

GBs are definitely dirty, but not much worse than Federal Bulk - both are definitely cleaner than Blazer. No idea WHAT they put on that stuff!

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Wal-Mart in Avon? I ain't seen .22LR in there since before December.

:yesway: on the old-school Cylon avatar.
    You have to be there at the right time when they unload the truck. They get ammo in almost every day, but it is hit and miss whether it is ammo you want. But I have gotten both .22LR, .223 and 9mm at WM either in Avon or Plainfield.

Thanks for :yesway: !

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had the same experiance with them. Some go boom some go pop and some dont do anything at all. My hands and action looks like golden glitter with black muck. I do the same and try them if that is all I can find or if they are on sale then once at the range I cuss myself for buying them again.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Remington Golden Bullets run very well in my AA kits (recommended by the manufacturer, Federal on the other hand due to its bullet shape absolutely will not run in my AA kits). They also run well in my 15-22. I've had one or 2 blow the back off the case, but otherwise they have run without issue.

I need to get by Walmart and see if they are starting to have any on the shelves.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not bothered by how dirty this ammo is, but by it's lack of reliablity. Too many fail to fire rounds.

This.

My Buckmark HATES Remington golden and cyclones. I was shooting some Golden on Sunday: bang, click, click, bang bang, bang, click

In 20 rounds, I had 7 shots that needed double striked. Of those 7, only 5 went off on the second hit. The other 2 were just duds.

So, in my experience, Remington 22s suck in handguns, in rifles they're better but still s-u-c-k

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    525 packs of Golden Bullets at WM Avon this evening. The boxes were there so I bought them. $21.97 ea. Really don't know if my S&W 22A will like them or not. Probably better than no ammo at all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've used Remington GBs in my Marlin 60 for over 15 years and cannot remember a dud. Probably happened a couple times, but if it were more than once or twice, I'd remember it. I started using them in My M&P .22 pistol and have not had a single misfire.

If you're getting 30% misfires (or anywhere near that), I'd look at the gun.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    525 packs of Golden Bullets at WM Avon this evening. The boxes were there so I bought them. $21.97 ea. Really don't know if my S&W 22A will like them or not. Probably better than no ammo at all.

You should be fine. It works pretty good in mine. Maybe 5-10 duds out of a box of 333 ( 325? whatever). VERY F'en dirty though. Like Tula 9mm!

My 22a seems to work best with Federal 550 pack for plinking. CCI about the same failure rate as Remington. But not as filthy

:twocents:

Top Bottom