• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking since last summer for the perfect 1st .22 for my 5yr olds 1st trip to the range. Until a week ago, I thought my options for reasonably priced youth .22's were the:

• Chipmunk
    • Marlin XT22Y
    • Henry Mini-Bolt
    • Thompson Center Hot Shot
    • CZ Youth bolt gun
    I had narrowed my choices to the Chipmunk for cost, the Henry for cost and quaity of build, and the Thompson Center based on past experience with the brand and its solid quality and value. I didn't want to spend more than $200 for my 5yr olds 1st .22, so that left me with either the Henry and the Chipmunk. I really didn't like the pull cocking mechanism that I've heard referred to as "english" on either, and after handling the Chipmunk decided its quality wasn't up to par for even my 5yr old, IMO. So I decided on the Mini-Bolt, but was disapointed I couldn't find anything else in my price range.

I was searching for the best price for the Henry when I went into Dicks on Coliseum in Ft Wayne and saw the Remington 514 listed for $129. I handled it and was impressed. I had heard Remington had bought Marlin, and immediately recognized the Marlin rimfire action that I love in my 883SS, 981T and 983S.

j5v7gj.jpg

It was heavier than the Henry and the Chipmunk, , but length of pull was the same. The synthetic stock was a miniature version of the basic stock on my Marlin 981T. The trigger was grittier and didn't break a swell as my other Marlins, but it would work fine. The sights weren't adjustable for windage, only rear adjustable for elevation, but it did feature drilled and tapped mounts for a scope and the receiver was cut to accept most rimfire scope rings. Once home I found out that I can get Tech-Sights for it as well. I was immediately impressed and decided this was the rifle for my boy.

Today I took my 5yr old with me to let him heft the weight to see if the difference was too much. He recited to me the 5 rules of gun safety that I have started teaching him last year, and I handed him the rifle. He kept his finger off the trigger and lifted the rifle to his little shoulders. He ifted it and held it steady for long enough I was convinced he could shoulder it for standing fire for at least a couple of shots between rests and the weight wouldn't be an issue when prone or from a bench. I had found my boy the perfect value priced .22 singleshot rifle to learn on.

I decided not to purchase it right away, and had to go to Gander Mountain for a bulk pack Federal 525 .22lr they had on sale for 14.99, and low and behold they had the same rifle for $10 less. I took it as a sign and after making sure they had an unopened/unhandled version in stock, bought one then and there.

Once home I inspected it thoroughly and was even more impressed when I compared it to my Marlin 981T side by side, and could hardly believe the value. For $10-$20 more than the lowly Chipmunk I had found a rifle that far surpassed it. I can't wait to take it to the range to shoot it.
    If anyone else out there has a siilar predicament finding a youth .22, I'd recommend checking out the new Remington 514.:yesway:

DontPanic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I realize a few years has passed since this was posted, which actually makes me more interested in your opinion! How was the rifle? Would you still recommend? i Have a 5 year old and also a 10 year old that would be primarily be using this.

Top Bottom