• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I grew up on the 10/22 and when I purchased another 22 I wanted to try Remington's 597 with the new blow back system and a heavier barrel.

To me the 597 tis a bit more finniky, doesn't like some ammo loves others, I had to do a little tweaking to get it perfect, properly adjusting blowback screws and other little things.
    There isn't allot of Aftermarket parts for the 597 vs the 10/22 so if your lookin at adding a lot of bells the 597 might not be for you.

But if your looking for something different,affordable, simple and very accurate try a 597.

There have been more than a few posts on these two rifles I'd suggest checking out some of the past posts as well as Rimfire central.com for more info.

I absolutely love mine with recent tweeks, free floated the Barrel, added new target hammer, extractor.

Match wolf or*** thunderbolts:rolleyes: I can compete with the older guys at the range who shoot 1500$ Anshutz's

3 round targets 65-75 yds

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0455-1.jpg

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had both and still have the 10/22. I had to trade off the 597 because it wasn't near the gun the 10/22 is. I really thought Remington would have put alittle more in the 597 model givin their reputation as a gun maker but they didn't. Spend the extra money and buy the Ruger and hit what your shooting at!!

Same here. my Rem 597 was very accurate but it wouldn't run a whole mag without a hicup. I even bought the REM factory metal mags and it didn't help. I sold it and got my 30 year old 10/22 back out

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Get a 10/22 its great stock and the sky is the limit for upgrades. You can make it as tacticool (troy stock etc...) as any of the ar 22's or a super nice shooter going say the volquartsen route.

Id also so the BX25 mags beat the crap out of any other 22's extended mags.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I was doing similar research/comparisson of 22lr rifles, and now have 10/22 on order.
    Ruger has much more to offer in a way of after market options for upgrades.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    597 here, I enjoy it better than the 10/22. 597 is not the one to get if you'r looking to dress it up. They do offer the Archangel kit, which is about all you really need. The 597 also doesn't like cheap ammo, CCI is what I use and works without fail, and needs to be kept clean.

Top Bottom