• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpmike25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I have a Remington 597 and i'm having problems as the title says. I know it's only a .22 but it was my first one. I've been having problems with the bolt not locking back and when it feeds it's pinching the rounds and/or not feeding properly. It'll pinch or not line up the round into the barrel. I've cleaned and cleaned it but still having the same issue. Is anyone familiar with this or has had this problem. I've researched online but it didn't help me much. If so can someone enlighten me on what to possibly do or give me some tips. Thank you.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    while i had the VTR model and had no issues at all, i can only vote to check out the mag, make sure it's properly lubed, perhaps a gas tube is clogged? , try a different bit of ammo, and at the worst, call remington for a return sipping label, and theyll fix it.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Have you polished up your guide rods?
    Have you tightened up the guide rods and backed them off equally a quarter turn.
    These guide rods are picky you cannot have slabs of greese or they cannot be bone dirty dry either. your problem is here with these guide rods.

Also try using a volquartsen extractor amd while your at it get a new hammer too, polish it up as well you be down to 2 - 2.5 lb trigger pull instead of that 10lb pull lol.

Do you have the New mags vs old style mags?

Check out some of my previous posts about my 597 ive had problems with mine at first but now i can send rounds right on top of eachother and its very accurate and consistant.

Also i suggest you visit the 597 section on rimfire central and learn about free floating and other interesting things about your 597.:ar15:

After you get set , there is no picky ammo, it will shoot it, i shoot everything cci tpo wolf mg, i have found mine shoots crazy accurate with rem thunderbolt at 60

I dont live far pm me and i can help.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    OK, this gun should be designed to operate even if it is a little dirty, and it should be able to handle any brand of ammo that fits it. I bought a new one and never could get it to operate properly, different ammo, cleaning, different mag. No luck. Shame on Remington. I was upset because its a nice looking rifle. That was the last .22 semi I owned. Got a Winchester 9422 and never looked back.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    See any extractor problems? If it's not looking I'd look first at the forward portion of the bolt to see if everything is aligning where it should.

Top Bottom