• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Hello guys n gals, I come to you to ask your feelings both positive and negative on the remington 597... gander mountain has em for 220$ that's the 20" barrel, gray synthtic stock, 3-9x32 scope.. sounds like a good deal, thow a bi-pod on and a 30rnd mag for fun.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    It's a nice gun and very accurate. Midwest Gun Exchange had the 597 with factory mounted scope for $160. last fall, I don't remember what the barrel length was though.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Love it. My first real (gunpowder) gun. Very accurate for what it is. Some of the older ones have a few problems, but you should be ok with a new one. My 30rd mag functions fine but some don't. Check out Rimfirecentral.com they have a section dedicated to them but its mostly a b!tch and whine forum.

IMG_1165Medium.jpg

IMG_1154Medium.jpg

IMG_1136Medium.jpg

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    they suck, I used to have one, i got rid of it after constant failures to feed. Do yourself a huge favor and get a Ruger 10/22

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i picked one up from dicks (the one w. 86th) a few weeks ago for $150 out the door, plus they have a $25 mail in rebate. came with the choice of red dot or traditional scope plus iron or no iron sights. took it home and cleaned it, and the mag, and it shoots like a dream. it's a real tack driver.

444HPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hamilton
    Great weapon, but the mags do suck you have to break them in dont load 10 right off the bat load 3-4 for a while then 5-7 then 8-10. I loaded 10 at first and had problems with feeding then a guy at the range told me that you have to break them in. Tack-drivers though for sure.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Mine is super-dee-duper.

Old mags suck, new ones don't. Factory 30rd ones work for me, too.

Maybe I'm just lucky or a Remington whisperer?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Oh

I will say i have been having nothing but problems with
    Aguila .22 60gr SSS Sniper Subsonic rounds in my 597SS...

Out of a 10 round mag I can shoot 5

What could be the issue?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I will say i have been having nothing but problems with
    Aguila .22 60gr SSS Sniper Subsonic rounds in my 597SS...

Out of a 10 round mag I can shoot 5

What could be the issue?
    My experience with Aguila is they are very underpowered and won't cycle as well as Fiocci subs in my 597 or my P22. There is a series of mods you can do to improve its performance with subs, reduce the weight of the bolt, lighter springs, lighter hammer spring, polish everything.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Idk about the failure to feed, reliability is a huge thing, I don't want to get it and not use it cuz it sucks, hmm... keep up the advice it all helps.
    Where are you located? If you are close maybe you could come to Eville and shoot mine. If you do decide to get one and it doesn't work right I can help you get it running. I like to do some light gunsmithing on the side;)

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Where are you located? If you are close maybe you could come to Eville and shoot mine. If you do decide to get one and it doesn't work right I can help you get it running. I like to do some light gunsmithing on the side;)

Thanks, however I live a few hours away in new castle... but I think the magazine break in idae is a good one so I, pretty set on getting it

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Go for it! I've had a 597SS for a few years, and LOVE it. It's a tack driver, and a blast to shoot.

I've had no trouble with factory 10 round magazines, but the 30 round magazine I bought has been worthless. Some people have had good luck the the 30 round mags, but not me. Stick with the 10 round mags, and you won't have any trouble.

Mine eats any ammo. The only failures I've ever had with it have been bad (cheap) ammo - good primer strike, but no bang. Never had a FTF/FTE with any ammo, and I've put about 8000 rounds through it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The problems with the mags was their failure to use a good spring. The mag spring is so weak you are lucky to find one that works. A spring upgrade is needed to make them work properly.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly, it's the most reliable semi auto .22 I have owned. I have never had any issues with mine. It will cycle everything from sub sonics to hyper velocity, and everything in between. They did have problems with the Gen 1 and 2 mags, but they took care of the problem. The factory high cap mags are junk, and I could not get them to feed right. I have tried other semi auto 22's, and they are no longer in my safe. I keep going back to the 597.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    iron sights?

Love it. My first real (gunpowder) gun. Very accurate for what it is. Some of the older ones have a few problems, but you should be ok with a new one. My 30rd mag functions fine but some don't. Check out Rimfirecentral.com they have a section dedicated to them but its mostly a b!tch and whine forum.

IMG_1165Medium.jpg

IMG_1154Medium.jpg

IMG_1136Medium.jpg
    did you remove your fixed sights? ive seen some with skinny barrels with iron sights, but ive seen some, like yours, that looks like a thicker barrel and no sights.... so is it an option or did YOU remove them?

Top Bottom