• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, starting reading some of the threads on the Remington 700 but not seeing much on the vtr model. Anyone have one and want to comment? Been looking at the VTR model in a 308 with the ATACS camo but a friend recommended I just get the sps model in all black and have someone duracoat it for me. The sps model in all black is running about about 575. Input is most appreciated.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    I here to stay away from the vtr. I bought a adl 308. For $450 plus a $50 rebate. The only difference between the adl and sps is the hinged floor. I bought a vortex scope from a&a optics. Its a awesome and accurate combo.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Nothing to add about the VTR really. But I will say that if you watch and have a Dunhams close by, you can get the ADL scoped combo for about $400 out the door when they run the right sale. They didn't have 308, and I got a raincheck, and they had it in a couple weeks.

I didn't think I'd get it, and got an SPS in the meantine. Besides the hinged floorplate, I can't find a difference in the SPS and the ADL. Haven't shot either one yet, so can't comment from that perspective.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I believe VTR comes packaged with a scope and the rifling is different from the SPS (depending on chambering). The SPS is about $300 cheaper. Never shot the VTR, but can't imagine it shoots appreciably better than the SPS. If I was going to spend the money on a VTR ($800-900), I'd look at the 700P because I believe there will be a notable improvement from the SPS to the 700P. :twocents:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The VTR has a 12 twist barrel while the SPS is 10. 10 is preferable.

Other than twist "different rifling" doesn't really appear until a 5R.

Jim Himself

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    I used to have a VTR and I loved it. The muzzle brake doesn't do anything, but having the barrel crown recessed an inch or so was very nice for me. Coyote hunting the guns were in and out of the truck all the time, so no worrying about the end of the barrel riding on the floormat or whatever.

Besides that, it was really no better or worse than an SPS. It looked cooler, but that's subjective.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I had the SPS and its the best. It is so much more comfortable to shoot. There are so many modifications for it, it really becomes an addiction after a while. Plus if you don't like the SPS you can sell it for pretty much what you buy it at.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The VTR has a 12 twist barrel while the SPS is 10. 10 is preferable.

What makes the 10 twist preferable to the 12? I only ask because my bolt gun has a 12 twist and shoots 155gr, 168gr & 175gr very well. I had a DMPS barreled gas gun in 10 twist which never fired the 168gr bullets very well but did fantastic with the 175gr SMK's. I've never been educated on which twist rates prefer which bullet weights in .308 so I'm genuinely curious about it.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What makes the 10 twist preferable to the 12? I only ask because my bolt gun has a 12 twist and shoots 155gr, 168gr & 175gr very well. I had a DMPS barreled gas gun in 10 twist which never fired the 168gr bullets very well but did fantastic with the 175gr SMK's. I've never been educated on which twist rates prefer which bullet weights in .308 so I'm genuinely curious about it.

1/10 will generally stabilize a heavier bullet. A heavier bullet has a flatter trajectory and less wind drift at longer range. So, for long range target shooting, a faster twist is generally preferable (within reason). That said, I don't know too many guys that shoot 200gr .308s. 168/175 seems to work alright.

Of course, everyone knows, 11.25 is the best. :D

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So far I'm seeing that it really is no better to spend the extra money to get a vtr model lol. I do like the sps with the stainless barrel and black stock. Did I hear someone say there was a package deal with a scope? It would be a waste almost to get one without a scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So far I'm seeing that it really is no better to spend the extra money to get a vtr model lol. I do like the sps with the stainless barrel and black stock. Did I hear someone say there was a package deal with a scope? It would be a waste almost to get one without a scope.

yes it would be a waste of money to have those guns with no scope. those guns dont even come with sights. they come drilled and tapped for a scope.

the combos that come with scope almost always come with very low end scopes. depending on what your wanting sometimes its a waste of money to pay extra for the combo

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    At 308 Win velocities a 10" twist will do it all, where a 12" puts the longer stuff out of reach. 208 AMax, 190+ Bergers, pretty much everything Matrix makes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    At 308 Win velocities a 10" twist will do it all, where a 12" puts the longer stuff out of reach. 208 AMax, 190+ Bergers, pretty much everything Matrix makes.

Gotcha. I have wondered if my 10 twist gasser not liking 168gr SMK's was the norm or just something with that particular barrel. I think it's the only rifle I've seen which didn't shoot Federal GMM well.

Top Bottom