• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    Have a chance to get a Rem 700 BDL 30-06. Are these good rifles ?
    what kind of accuracy can I expect ? I'm wanting to make it a precision rifle, is this a good starting point ? Any comments are welcome , I don't have much knowledge about bolt action rifles.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    very good rifle,trigger is adjustable on all the old 700 rifles,1 inch to two with good factory ammo,some guns need bedded and remove the little hump of wood on the forearm.i like them as they are,at least the ones i got

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My brother bought that exact rifle about 2 months ago. We haven't done extensive accuracy tests, but just playing around, it appeared to be very accurate (100-200 yards). It seems very well built. Many people are fans of the Remington 700 series rifles because of their price vs. accuracy and reliability. I don't think you can go wrong with that rifle.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Let me just put it this way: the Marines think so highly of the 700 that they use it as their go-to sniper rifle. And they have since 1966. On that note, I have a 700 in .223 and it was shooting dime size groups straight out of the box with green and white box of Remington UMC factory ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am guessing that it will shoot better than you do. And that is always a worthy goal.

I know mine does. I am constantly striving to be worthy of my rifle.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have one but got it in 1978. Still very accurate and in my days, I could hit a penny at 100 yrds. I also killed an Elk with it in CO.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Let me just put it this way: the Marines think so highly of the 700 that they use it as their go-to sniper rifle. And they have since 1966. On that note, I have a 700 in .223 and it was shooting dime size groups straight out of the box with green and white box of Remington UMC factory ammo.

Not all 700's are the same. Not to be an ass, but the Marines have very custom 700's done properly by their armorers. As far as I know, the closest factory rifle to what the Marines, police or anyone involved in "tactical" shooting is the heavy barrel police special, and even that rifle is usually customized to an extent. And I'm guessing they would not send one out in 30-06. I think they prefer the 308 in the past, well they did when I was in.

Not saying a 30-06 is bad, just not serious after 2-300 years like other calibers.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    I like the 700 and the 30-06 caliber, feel I should really have one again since there is so much plentiful ammo lying about. But its not really a "precision" rifle at distance. Within 2-300 yards I've gotten 2" groups of five, but not consistently back in the day. But if you want to take down an animal within in those ranges, It's a really good rifle. Inside of 300 yards with even half decent glass you can take down anything. Also, the price for the gun and ammo is great.

Just my impression, but I think people get too wrapped up in the 700's. Some of them have been terrible and I love Remington. But when you make budget rifles in mass for a particular market (hunters) you cut corners to make them cheap and plentiful. When the best thing about a rifle is the action, then something is wrong. The actions on the 700s are usually decent, everything else varies...alot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    go for it! you cannot go wrong with the 700 bdl. I have the 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag and it shoots better than i do. it shoots sub moa with Winchester Power-points and a couple weeks ago i shot a quarter at 230 yards. Great Rifles. If you decide to get it then make sure you get a great scope too as that will really determine how far/accurate you can shoot. I chose the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 x 40 and i wouldn't trade the set-up for anything!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Wait and find another Remington 700. Find a very good condition late 1970s early 1980s manufacture ADL or BDL wood stocked rifle in 30-06 and handload for it. You will not be unhappy. It is a classic that will never ever go out of "style".

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Hard to beat a Remington 700. Solidly built, great quality, and great out of the box accuracy. My very first high power rifle was a 700 BDL in .270. I will never get rid of it. With factory ammo it consistently shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards. With carefully reloaded ammo, it cuts bullet holes at 100 yards.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a 700 in 30-06 and the Stevens 200 in .223. Both are solid rifles. I would say the 700 is better, but I'm also pleased with the 200. For hunting either would work. For precision. I would go with what the majority are telling you. Just make sure you get a quality scope. For the money, a Redfield works well on the Stevens and Leupold on the 06. Redfield is actually made by Leupold, but mine are for hunting so you might have something else in mind.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I put three shots inside a half inch--all three touching or close to it in a triangle--with 115gr soft point, factory ammo at 150 yards! I was using a Simmons 24x scope on a bench with a bipod, but that is still pretty amazing. Not sure I could do it again, but I had a witness and it was a new target. I haven't shot it much since then, because the scope fell apart, but when I do shoot it I sure notice that it is far more accurate than my AR15's. Now that I've begun reloading 30-06 I will be looking to join another range and shoot it more than ever (with a more solid 14x scope).

My only complaint is that the light barrel. If I were buying a new one I'd get a bull barrel to help manage the recoil. Obviously I can't complain about the accuracy though.

Top Bottom