• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Know nothing about Vortex but. Does it have target turrets and are the knobs adjustable? Maybe you could loosen the elevation knob and move it up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Trying to shoot a scoped rifle with a 20MOA base at 100 yards will ALWAYS be a useless exercise. The ENTIRE purpose of a 20MOA base is to allow hits within the range of most scopes at 800 to 1000 yards. (for a 308)

A 20 MOA base usually is not used for less than 300 yards, and if it is used for the short range shots under 300 yards, careful data must be recorded and hold-offs must be used.

This is part of pre-planning what the intended use of the rifle is going to be when purchasing components. If most of your shots are going to be 600 yards or less, a standard scope base is all that is needed. If you are going to concentrate on long range, 800 to 1,000 yards or beyond, you need the 20 MOA base. But you must acknowledge that the short range shooting will be more difficult.

That is how it is. Don't blame the scope because it doesn't have enough clicks. That isn't fair. You bought the base to have enough clicks at long range. You shouldn't wonder why it doesn't have enough clicks at short range. You cannot have it all, my friend......

I usually agree with your posts but not this one.

Over the past five years I have personally observed several hundred Rem700 rifles with 20MOA bases zeroed at 100 yards without issue. My personal Rem700 in .308 as well as my Rem700 in .223 both have 20MOA bases and both easily zero at 100 yards.

A scope with limited elevation available may run into problems but most tactical or target scopes these days have more than enough to accommodate a 20MOA base.

Last edited:

butthead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    I use a laser for getting the scope dialed inn some but if you do make sure you have the distance that the laser company tells you to use.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I usually agree with your posts but not this one.

Over the past five years I have personally observed several hundred Rem700 rifles with 20MOA bases zeroed at 100 yards without issue. My personal Rem700 in .308 as well as my Rem700 in .223 both have 20MOA bases and both easily zero at 100 yards.

A scope with limited elevation available may run into problems but most tactical or target scopes these days have more than enough to accommodate a 20MOA base.

Same here. FWIW by looking at the RP's pics his base looks to me more like 30 moa.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Trying to shoot a scoped rifle with a 20MOA base at 100 yards will ALWAYS be a useless exercise. The ENTIRE purpose of a 20MOA base is to allow hits within the range of most scopes at 800 to 1000 yards. (for a 308)

The purpose of the 20 MOA base is to give you more usable vertical adjustment. I have an AR30 in .338 Lapua magnum, an AR-10T in .308 and a Rem 700 in .308. All 3 have 20 MOA bases and all three are sighted 1" high at 100 yards. All 3 have NightForce scopes and the .338 Lapua is the 12-42x56 NSX with only 45 MOA total adjustment. The .338 Lapua only has 2 clicks of down adjustment left at 100 yards, but it is sighted in at 100 yards. I shoot all 3 out to 1,000 yards without any problems.

OP, call Shaun at Sniperco or talk to Andrew. I'm sure they can help you out. If you still have problems, PM me and I'll be happy to work with you at Roush or up at Young's Longshot to get the 700 sighted in. You were correct to go with the 20 MOA base for all ranges from 100 to 1,000 yards.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Same here. FWIW by looking at the RP's pics his base looks to me more like 30 moa.

I think you're correct on the 30 MOA base. It does look too steep. In addition, the additional 10 MOA would cause a 10" difference at 100 yards and the OP says he's about 6" off. Makes sense.....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You guys are not wrong, but I think you are forgetting that the purpose of the 20 MOA base is to keep the clicks somewhere in the center at long range. Clicking all the way down at short range with a 20 MOA base is just as bad as clicking all the way up at long range with a standard base.

If the OP had posted that he could not click up enough for long range, we would have all sugggested that he needs a 20MOA base. Correct?

I believe that having that 20MOA base just moves the excessive clicking to the short range end of the rifles usefullness. I think it is unfair to blame the scope that it might not have enough clicks to compensate.

I am sure we can all agree on that...

.....And a second look at the image does indicate that it might be more than a 20 MOA base......

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd agree that the 20MOA base was originally designed to allow for doping long range elevation on scopes with limited travel. I also think that scopes have come a long way since the 20MOA bases came about and I see no reason not to have one these days. I haven't seen a 20MOA base cause an issue with a scope as far as tracking accurately at 100 yards.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Wasnt blaming anything and to shoot beyond 200 yrds here i have to have a membership. I only shot there because we were there and.i havent shot the rifle until then. I have a 15 month old and busy at work so my range time is very small. So yes i know what i built i was planning on a 300 yrd zero but its tough to get to a 300 yrd range

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'd agree that the 20MOA base was originally designed to allow for doping long range elevation on scopes with limited travel. I also think that scopes have come a long way since the 20MOA bases came about and I see no reason not to have one these days. I haven't seen a 20MOA base cause an issue with a scope as far as tracking accurately at 100 yards.

You calling me Old? Well, I am. So take that.....:D

Regards. This post was fun....

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Vortex viper 6x20x44 i believe and yes couldnt.get it anywhere near my.point.of aim

Are you sure you don't have this scope 6.5x20x44 Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA V-Plex Wide

It shows that it has a total of 65 moa elevation...so like others have said you may have a 30 moa base, even so you should still be ok. What everyone is not telling you is if you have to move you scope left or right you will lose some of the available adjustment up and down. Think of a large circle with a small circle inside of it. If the small circle is centered you can move it a longer distance up and down than you could if the small circle was over to one side. Thats the way the adjustments are inside your scope. When your group was 6" high, was it centered? If not center your group and you may have enough clicks to move it down. Also sometimes rings, bases, and even the mounting holes in the reciever can be off this will mess with the available adjustment also. To test and see if everything is straight, you can gently adjust your scope all the way left and then count the clicks till you move it all the way to the right, and move it back to the left half of the total clicks and it will be centered. Then take a shot and see if it is centered on target. If its more than a few inches off center you could swap your rings front to back or turn them around. Sometimes this will get you centered better so you will have all of your elevation adjustments. Hope this helps:)

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'll just chime in. I have a 20 MOA base on mine as well as a Viper scope. No problems getting to 100 yds. I don't have much left at the bottom end, but I can. Something isn't right.

-JD-

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    There should be ZERO issue getting a 100yd zero with a 20MOA base, provided an optic has at least 40MOA of elevation adjustment.

In the past I've been lucky (relative term) and able to get a 100yd zero on scopes that are notoriously lacking elevation adjustment (Bushnell 4200 8-32x40 and Nikon Monarch 5-20x44) with 20MOA of Burris Signature Zee inserts on two-piece 0MOA bases.

I've got a 25MOA base on one Savage, a 20MOA on another, and 20MOA of Burris inserts in a third and all have at least one full MIL of down from a 100yd zero.

Something is very wrong with OP's base or scope. Swap the scope with ANY scope that is known to be accurate and see if results duplicate; that should narrow down between the optic or the base.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Does the scope base need to be bedded to the rifle? If you remove either the front screws on the base or the back screws on the base, does a gap open up on the side without screws?

If so, and if it's excessive, could it be causing binding with the scope?

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Sniper company did it all i believe. I think its mounted right and its 20 moa base not 30 . Im gonna load some rounds and head out next weekend and see if someone on here who offered to help me will be available

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ok ill man up and say it.....i made a mistake... I have 2 mounts for different guns and i just double checked and it is a +30 moa on this rifle...... Doh...... I feel like a jackass and i messed up lol. Mulligan?

Top Bottom