• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I have a remy 700 VLS in 22-250. I am interested in learning what has to be done/bought to convert this rifle into a 308. Also since I know very little about this I was wondering if after I bought everything I could switch back and forth if I needed to (only if needed to not on a wim). If the whole thing would be to lengthy and costly I will just start looking for a used remy 308.

Thanks for the help
    Parker

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'll first say, I'm not a gunsmith, and never done this. This is my simplistic understanding.

You'd need a new (308) barrel. You'd need a barrel vice and action wrench to remove the old barrel and install the new one. You would need to ensure the headspace is right on the new barrel, so you would also need appropriate gauges and know how to use them.

It appears that the boltface is the same for both calibers from my searching on the net (thanks to posts on snipershide), so I think that should be it.

In my humble opinion, I think you'd be better off just getting a 308 gun, especially if you think you might want to switch back and forth. But if you have the tools and know-how, I guess it could be done.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The only real practical reason to do this would be to install a higher grade barrel than is normally offered by the rifle companies. For example if you wanted to turn your Remington action into a match grade rifle with a Hart barrel or similar. I have seen some switch barrel rifles custom made but you are looking at a rather hefty chunk of change, be cheaper to buy a Blaser.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    700's in .308 are plentiful and inexpensive on gunbroker. On average, a .308 barrel can withstand 6-7k rounds without any marked decrease in accuracy, so you won't likely encounter one with a shot-out barrel. You can also get an entry level 700 SPS for around $500. You'll spend way more than that in parts and gunsmith charges. Plus - two rifles is always superior to one!

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I would agree with the rest of the crowd here and not recommend molesting your 22-250 to make it a .308 for 2 reasons. 1 is that everyone that i know that has a 22-250 loves it. And there is definitely an abundance of .308 rifles in Indiana. That said I would not part with my .308.:twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The only real practical reason to do this would be to install a higher grade barrel than is normally offered by the rifle companies. For example if you wanted to turn your Remington action into a match grade rifle with a Hart barrel or similar.

spot on. you can probably sell the 22-250 and buy a 308 and be out little or no money. but if your wanting match grade preformance go ahead and true the action and do the 308.

i considered doing a switch barrel (25wssm-358bfg) but personally i dont think i would ever use the 25wssm. the only time i could see using it was as a loaner pronghorn rifle.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Can't blame you for wanting to swap out a slow twist 22-250 barrel.

Assuming a good value smith like Pacnor, a rebarrel delivered ready to shoot would be roughly $600 and a barrel you can install yourself with hand tools would run $400 after a rented reamer.

Top Bottom