• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Im thinking about getting a recoil pad for my .308. Any suggestions? I don't want one that requires much work either.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Cheap and easy are the Limbsaver slip on pads. They fit a wide variety of stocks even if they are not specifically made for them. I have one I bought for an A2 stock for my .50bmg that also fit over a Magpul PRS stock I now have on my .50bmg. They have very soft padding.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Walled Lake, MI
    Wimp (joking) I would get a gun smith to install one if it got a wood stock on it. The 700 in wood is just to pretty for a slip on pad and the slip have been known to sometimes mar the wood. A 308 kicks that much? I got a 30 06 with out a recoil pad and do not find the recoil that bad. My 8 mm Mauser kick like a mule though.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    i got one of the ones they sell at wal-mart, to use on my mosin an my mauser. it works wonderfull. I put a lil over a 100 rds through the mauser after I first got the pad, and my shoulder wasnt even red.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just get a suppressor... best recoil saving device there is.

It adds weight to reduce muzzle jump, almost completely eliminates the high-velocity/volume gasses that are expelled out the muzzle, makes the gun quiet, and best of all, they're pretty cool.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    To CountryBoy 19...oh buddy i would love to have a can for it. Saw one at the gun show for about $500. It will take an act of congress (the wife) though for me to get one. I did see the Pachmayrs and think those look good. I don't want a muzzle break cause i don't like messing with the barrel.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have Simms Precision Fit pads on several rifles, from .270 to 416 Rigby, and several duck and goose guns as well. They'll help you become a better shooter. The Simms pads work well even in bitter cold weather, and look nice, as the differnet models fit your shotgun or rifles perfectly.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't want a muzzle break cause i don't like messing with the barrel.

You really just thread the barrel and install the brake.

I think mine was $150 installed from a gunsmith. I bought the brake ($80) and had it installed ($70). My .300 Win Mag kicks about like a .223 now :ar15:

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    yeah i wasnt thinking when i said i don't like messing with the barrel. I'll probably go with both putting on a suppressor AND get a recoil pad to make it baby soft. :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Let me guess.....you are shooting from the bench or with a bipod, right?

Put a riflemans sling on it and shoot it like rifles are meant to be shot and the recoil goes away. No recoil pad necessary. Even a steel buttplate won't be noticed.

Just my :twocents:

(Are you guys aware that lots of 115 pound guys won WWII with the mighty M1 Garand?)

Top Bottom