• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianRetter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Randolph County
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking awhile and decided to join the forums (I'm new, so go easy on me :):)
    I'm picking up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. Will mostly get used for target/plinking, 400-500 yards max. I'm hoping to get in the .75-1 MOA range (may need to change out the stock eventually).
    Anyway I'm looking for opinions on optics in the $500 or less range, based on my budget. I've always had low end Bushnells on my .22s with low end rings/mounts so I really don't know much beyond that.
    I'm looking into a Nikon Monarch 3: 4-16x50 and was wondering if anyone had experience with this particular optic or combination. Also, what kind of mounts and rings should I be looking at?
    I tried searching the forums and couldn't quite find what I was looking for (although maybe I was searching wrong) I really appreciate the help!

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Alright here is my recommend.

I would start with a quality well made base. All said and done it is one of the links between the scope and the rifle. From there i'd recommend warne non QD rings as they are affordable and super solid. On to the scope...If you can swing it a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 would fit the bill very nicely however if that is a little to spendy for you then the Vortex Viper HST 4-16 would fall into your price point (just).

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Look up 42669vette on INGO. He is the owner of AA Optics and can get you set-up and teach you tons in the process.

A&A Optics

When you get your rifle completed, take some pictures of it and the results at the range and post it here on INGO for us to enjoy!

Oh, and welcome to INGO! (From a former Randolph County citizen.)

BrianRetter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Randolph County
    Thanks for the replies! I'm looking into the PST now. I'll probably end up going that route. lovemywoods I'll be sure to check him out as well, and post pics when its done! ...Just gotta get my tax return now!

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I also have a Remington 700 sps tac. in 308 and I have a 5x20x44 Monarch 3 great rifle and scope. Haven't shot past 200 yds. I have the same stock that it came with and don't have any problems shooting at 200 yrds. with it. Mine has a Weaver rail don't remember who makes the rings. The rifle and scope are a lot better than the person on the trigger. I have been told that if you want to shoot with low light you need the 50 if not 44 is just fine. This is just what I have been told.

Sonney

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Brian :welcome:.
    Absolutely agree with the vote for Vortex, I have 4 of them. Damaged one with an idiot move and returned it for repair...no charge. Alan at AAOptics will do you right.

Top Bottom